I need a gun restoration expert

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
Several years ago I had the chance to acquire one of my dream guns, a Franchi SPAS 12. She was in really rough shape when I got her. The gun had been abused quite a bit, but everything important looked in tact.

I started searching for parts and trying to fix her up myself. It soon became apparent that in order to be repaired correctly, she would need to be restored professionally.

I was wondering if any of my brothers out there know of a qualified gunsmith and restoration fellow who wouldn't mind working on a SPAS 12. Since I got her for a song, I don't mind spending a little money to get her back to her old glory.

Any suggestions?

You can check with a Franchi dealer in your area for authorized repair but chances are slim, it's been out of production since 2000 and parts may be a concern. Beretta aquired Franchi a while ago so a Beretta dealer may be of some help.  

http://www.franchiusa.com/dealers/

It might be just as easy to go directly to Franchi for repair and you'll know it's right and guaranteed.

http://www.franchiusa.com/repair-request/

Ocelot55":47jxvzv1 said:
Several years ago I had the chance to acquire one of my dream guns, a Franchi SPAS 12. She was in really rough shape when I got her. The gun had been abused quite a bit, but everything important looked in tact.

I started searching for parts and trying to fix her up myself. It soon became apparent that in order to be repaired correctly, she would need to be restored professionally.

I was wondering if any of my brothers out there know of a qualified gunsmith and restoration fellow who wouldn't mind working on a SPAS 12. Since I got her for a song, I don't mind spending a little money to get her back to her old glory.

Any suggestions?
What needs done? My brother is a FFL holder and can gunsmith. How intensive are the necessary repairs?

Well, it has several issues. First, when I got it the magazine extension was JB welded onto the magazine tube. At first I thought it was just stuck. Dad got on one end with a belt clamp and I got on the other and we actually sheared the aluminum tube off at the extension. I took some pliers and pulled the aluminum left from the tube off the inside of the extension. Looks like someone stripped the threads and then just glued the damn thing on. I ordered a new magazine tube no problem, but I can't find an extension at the length I want. I wondered if the one I had could be repaired.

The receiver shock absorber, all the o-rings, and anything else rubber has degraded and needs replaced.

Finally the magazine tube latch (I think that is what it's called) is all messed up.

I'd like to bring it up to mint condition, which would also mean refinishing as well. It's all a bit beyond my ability. I should have probably just saved up and bought one without issues, but this one was less than half of the retail of a normal SPAS 12. Very cool shotgun. I just need it fixed.

It is sounding a lot like a parts gun. Like with those pipe making fellows, the majority of gunsmithing cost is in the labor. Your gun looks like lots and lots of labor. Finding factory parts at this late date would be next to impossible.

You can find a all sorts of parts on ebay, As far as the rings you can check if 1100 remington rings might work. Franchi is owned by Berretta. they might be some help.