I need some help with this set of pipes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Webster

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and came across an interesting set of estate pipes this weekend that I would like to learn more about. The case is labeled Bewlay's Special Made in London. They all have Sterling; the pipes have Bewley on the bowls, and the Sterling has B & Co. with a Maker's Mark of what looks like an M, a Lion, and another character. An extension is also used to create what I discovered is called a "Library Pipe." I would like to know if anyone has more information about a set like this, especially an estimate of when they were made.
Bewlay Set.jpeg

P
Thanks, I'll take a look there. Here is as good of a picture as I can get. The third mark is unclear to me. How about youView attachment 14347?
Nice set and pretty cool about the library pipe. The third mark looks like an animal's head with two ears showing-maybe a bear. You might try a close crop of just the symbols and a Google image search. Merry Christmas Swede

Bill,

Left to right -
The "m" appears to be the year 1907. It could be 1927, but the 1927 "m" is more gothic than the one shown on the pipe.
The rampant lion for Great Britain. And attests to the purity of the metal (sterling silver).
The tiger's head represents the London assay office.

Regards,
Maatthew

Last edited: