I Want to Try Something New

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetPipeDreamer

Reaction score
I have a store credit at an online retailer. With very few exceptions I’ve been smoking PA for 50 years. I want to try something else. I love the smell of burning tobacco. I don’t like “Punch and Judy” sweetness of any kind. I’ve smoked pure Virginia in the past and liked it, it made me dizzy when I inhaled some. I want mild flavorful smoke. Suggestions?

I was pleasantly surprised by Virginia slices from Sutliff. It's available as bulk and comes sliced, not ready rubbed. I found it very flavourful, grassy with a very light citrus undertone. Didn't irritate me on retrohale. I like it for a morning smoke because it's a bright flavour that wakes me up. It rubs into a fine ribbon which smokes very evenly with only light packing, not hot, not harsh, I haven't experience tongue bite with it.

I typically smoke heavier Cavendishes, English, Balkan, and Turkish blends. This tobacco made an immediate impact on my palate as something subtle and completely different from my typical favourites. It is especially good in a cob, a meerschaum, or a clay.

I also tried Red Virginia Krumble Kake from Sutliff. It was another departure from my regular tobaccos with a bolder and rounder flavour than straight Virginia. You might like a Virginia blend that has some Red Virginia to accent it. Oriental Silk from Cornell and Diehl is a wonderful blend of Virginia and Turkish, it is more fragrant and darker in flavour than a straight Virginia.

I hope you do try a few blends, it's a wonderful experiment to stretch your smoking palate a bit and it may give you renewed appreciation for old favourites.

Last edited:
I’ll strongly second the recommendation for C&D Oriental Silk. One of my favorites. A simple, yet beautiful blend that brings the best of Turkish notes. And it’s not expensive. And it’s widely available.

A second recommendation would be C&D Night Train. You can look up descriptions and reviews at the Tobacco Reviews website…but it qualifies as a real classic.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy the path.

How is the bulk Cornell & Diehl packaged? A pound of it is only $10 higher than I’m paying for 14 ounces of PA

The various vendors do different things. You can buy as little as an ounce…on up to pounds. Nuthin’s cheap any more, but way better here in the USA (knock on wood) than many other countries.

I’ll strongly second the recommendation for C&D Oriental Silk. One of my favorites. A simple, yet beautiful blend that brings the best of Turkish notes. And it’s not expensive. And it’s widely available.

Ooh now I gotta go dig through my tins to see if I have any, might have one ticked away, I do enjoy oriental silk