I'd appreciate advice on this pipe project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Here are images of my newest pipe project. Please ignore the copious amounts of yogurt stains on my laptop. It's my little boy's handywork.

This is the best shot of the grain that I have right now.

So, my primary question is that I'm asking for some suggestions for the wood near the stem. I think the protrusion at the end is too large, and bulky. However, I'm conflicted in how I want to change it. I've been searching the web for freehands looking for inspiration, but have yet to find it. :) I love for my pipes to be sitters, so it's something I generally plan into the design.

I really wanted this to be a more traditional freehand, in terms of it looking like a "danish freehand" with the triangular shaped bowl, but I lost control of that shape during the carving process. Right now it looks more like an "egg" to me, which doesn't really thrill me.

I'm at my limits in terms of taking any more wood away in the bowl area.

At any rate, suggestion are welcome.

Martin to Martin: Man to man, Bro looks great to me. I'd certainly like to light my fire in your pipe. Keep up your good work. You have a bright future.

Marty- Ha! Thanks, Bro! I'll let you guys know how she smokes, but this is a Mark Tinsky briar, and everyone of them smokes like heaven.

:)

Marty: You just blew your cool. I knew it was a great looking pipe. If Tinsky missed this post who would ever think it was one of his. Enjoy it man. I'm jealous.

Oh, no, you misunderstood. The briar block is from Amsmokes.com - I bought the raw block and carved this. :)

I guess I better be more clear about this sort of thing. :)

Marty: Great clarification. Your future is intact. That "MartinH" pipe is a beauty. Mark Tinsky can just "eat his heart out". He has competition in the neighborhood.

Good lookin' pipe! When I saw the first picture, I thought, "damn he did a good job copying that Boswell shape."

Thanks Bros! Here are a few more shots of the pipe so far. When I get short of patience, I like to see what it might look like with stain. Unfortunately, I found several bad pits and two cracks in wood!!!!!!!! I had a little bit of "bleep, bleep, bleep" moment.

One pit was so bad, that I rusticated the back part of the bowl. Unfortunately, I'm out of black stain, so it's going to look strange until I can darken the rustication.

Here is where I am so far. I have to be honest, that this is the first pipe I've ever made that I feel turned out okay.

:)

BTW: I am not photographer. :(

There will be a few more images as I get them uploaded.

LIPIPE":1vipdo8n said:
Marty: Great clarification. Your future is intact. That "MartinH" pipe is a beauty. Mark Tinsky can just "eat his heart out". He has competition in the neighborhood.
Marty: thanks for the compliment, but I wish I knew how to make pipes look as gorgeous as Mark Tinsky. But, you made my day!

Only good advice there is......It's Miller time. Light up and have a christening.

So, the pipe is ready, the Squadron Leader and Nightcap is ready, my only question is...

...when can I expect that nice pipe to hit my mailbox? 8) :cheers:

Thanks for all the positive comments. I need to re-sand, blacken the rustication and then re-stain, etc. etc. but I can't wait to light this one up!

Later Bros!

Here is a new attempt at the stain. I wasn't happy with the darkness of my first attempt. After sanding the thing lightly, I diluted the liquid stain a little with denatured alcohol. On this particular go around, I think I got a better handle on buffing the thing, as it turned out much shinier and the grain shows really well. There may still be some work to do on the shank of the stummel, as it's not 100% proportional and needs to be evened out. As I was buffing, I noticed a horrible dip in the shank, where my hand must have slipped. :)

At any rate, I'm proud of this one, so I want to show it off. :)

Flickr Slideshow

I like the in-depth photo gallery of the pipe.

I really like it.

As I said before, it has Nightcap and Squadron Leader all ready to go for when you decide to send it to me. :lol: 8)

Kyle Weiss":h4imjhf4 said:
I like the in-depth photo gallery of the pipe.

I really like it.

As I said before, it has Nightcap and Squadron Leader all ready to go for when you decide to send it to me. :lol: 8)
LOL! Buy me some briar and you can have it in fair trade! LOL!

My friendly B&M gave me some new baccy to try in this pipe, but now I can't remember the friggin name!!!! I'm such a doofus! I made the mistake of stopping by and then looking at some really nice Bjarlings, all priced at $85. Hmmmm..........

MartinH":9mckq1h5 said:
LOL! Buy me some briar and you can have it in fair trade! LOL!
I have two blank Tinsky kits still sitting on my "bench" (the ol' guitar case on the keyboard stand...)... perhaps when I carve something new, we should talk... 8)