Inexpensive Glass Jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus Long

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My good friend and fellow brother talrmn35 recently gave me a tip on an inexpensive airtight jar ($1.97ea) at Walmart. I got a few of them and they will hold a 50g tin just ducky. :D

They also had a larger size for not much more. Any of you use these for short-term or long-term storage?

l_6a6f6e8c0aa94b9f839a9ce9fe52c434.jpg

cheers!

Lazarus,
I have used these, or similar for short term storage of opened tins and like them quite a bit. I have found, however, to be unsuitable for cellaring lond term as, with use, the seal of the lids becomes unreliable.

I still prefer small wide mouth Ball jars for the cellar.

Thanks for the tip.

About 3 years ago I bought 6 of them for long term storage about a year ago a I pop open one of them and the tobacco (LJ Virginia and Lousianna Red) were bone dry. I would not recommend them for long term either.

Thanks for the replies,

I prefer Ball Jars as well, but I suppose these will do well for short term smoking stashes.

I use them for my open, ready to smoke bulk tobacco blends. I keep a humidity disc in each jar for my English/Balkan blends and they are fine. My burley aromatics stay moist the way they always are without a disc.

8) Ball jars, big and tiny! Cheaper'n who-da-thunk-it at your local grocery store.

Big-uns for the "1/2 pounds" I order, and tiny ones for the one or two ounce orders.

ball jars for long and short term, they're cheaper too ~ 70 cents for 8oz jars, they hold about 2oz tobacco without being packed in there. Pint jars i'm assuming will hold 4oz without problem and are about 80 cents.

I just bought some jars from Kmart, who has them in stock where I am, though Walmart does not. ~$8.50 with tax fro 12 1/2-pint jars (regular mouth). These will be good for the order I am expecting soon! I o with small sizes because I don't smoke that much, so I don't wanna crack open too much at once from the cellar!

are my ball jars good just hand tightened? Ive read some stuff on heating the jars and lids just prior to screwing them on but I dont want to cook my baccy.

onabullit":9pqg7ctg said:
are my ball jars good just hand tightened? Ive read some stuff on heating the jars and lids just prior to screwing them on but I dont want to cook my baccy.
Everything I have read says don't heat, alters the flavor considerably.

I really dig the mason jars as well. Have a bunch of baby ones for the tobacco I have open. I just hand tighten them and thats that.

Really quite effective and cheap.

However, some glass ones like this would be great to have out in the living room or whatnot; looks better than a bunch of mason jars on the sideboard.

Thanks for posting.

I have had great luck with wide mouth ball/mason jars.
It's the only thing I use for long term storage!