Interesting Christmas Present for the Techie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Morning Everyone,

My little boy, at 19 months old, is an iPad whiz. He's already purchased twenty dollars worth of in-app things without daddy's permission. That said, I've been looking to see what's out there in non-Apple tablet devices. Yeah there are the macdaddy devices such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Xoom, but those are pretty much the same price as the iPad. Although I'd personally would opt for Android over iOS at that price range.

That said, I'm a huge Newegg.com fan, because their prices are always rock solid and their customer support is stellar. (No, I'm not an employee.) But, I found this interesting tablet device for a relatively cheap cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834322001

It's only $249 and has received stellar reviews. There are some other non-brand name devices coming out, in particular this one.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/energy-sistems-new-tablets-promise-a-taste-of-honeycomb-on-andr/

This one could be under $200 if it goes on sale for Christmas.

Okay, I thought I'd just post this for the curious.

If this needs to be in a different forum, let me know and I'll move it.

Martin

Martin,

Noticed the same thing about a couple of different Android tablets...running between 125 and 250 or so which, comparatively speaking, ain't too shabby!

I am looking at the new Amazon Kindle Fire. It is not as powerful/feature filled as other tablets but it is low cost. It should also allow you to do most of the things people do with non-iPad tablets... Angry Birds, music and some web browsing.

Hey,

Yeah, I've been looking at the Kindle Fire, but a deal breaker for me is that is doesn't fully support the Android Market Place. Since I'd like to get it for me little boy I really want him to be able to enjoy his favorite games like Talking Ben and Talking Tom. I'm still not sure if it's appropriate to buy him $200+ or $170 device as he's only 19 monhts, but he plays with my work iPad all the time, where it's to the point that daddy doesn't even get to touch the iPad when I'm home. That said, if he breaks that thing, I'm out $500 cold hard cash. And, considering that he's broken my smart phone three times, I'm nervous.

If you haven't tried these yet, you have to. Their hysterical and he can spend an hour just messing with it.