Irish Whiskey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jers":8pbu4g6t said:
Puff Daddy":8pbu4g6t said:
Redbreast. Single pot still Irish whisky in the same vein as single malt Scotch. Not blended with grain alchohol, not vatted with other Irish spirits to make some sort of palatable blend, beautiful stuff.
+1
+5,000.

I'm a HUGE fan of Irish whiskey...much better than that peaty stuff everyone around here seems to love so much. IMHO, Redbreast is THE way to go for affordable whiskeys - I actually think it's better than quite a few of the readily available, more expensive options. I like Bushmill's White Label a bit more than base-line Jameson ("orginal"), but age really works magic on Jameson. When you move up to the next tier, Jameson 12 comes close to Redbreast and beats the heck out of Bushmills. If you get your hands on Jameson 18, it will change your world (to date, it's the one I've enjoyed more than any other Irish Whiskey).

TallyCannon":a8f7fehg said:
Going to give McClelland’s' Islay Single Malt a whirl tonight.
Just so you know, Islay malts can be bit of an acquired taste. If you find it doesn't suit you, a gentler Lowland or Speyside might be a better starting point.

With all this Whisky talk, I believe I will pick up a bottle of Redbreast to try this weekend. Scotch wise, my oldest daughter's boyfriend gifted me a bottle of Glenfiddich 18, it is good, however I am a huge fan of Islay whisky, with Bowmore distillery being my favorite.

Considering the price of a bottle of Lagavulin 16, I'd take a bottle of Ardbeg 10 over anything else out of the Islay region.

George Kaplan":4tt4wc8u said:
Just so you know, Islay malts can be bit of an acquired taste. If you find it doesn't suit you, a gentler Lowland or Speyside might be a better starting point.
Definitely a smoky peat flavor. Good sipping whiskey. Better with about 20% distilled water added.

if you're going for Redbreast spend a little extra and the 12yo cask strenght

1735095.jpg

Bullwinkle said:

Picked up a bottle today and will try it tonight as a nightcap!

Bullwinkle":3y5wfpgg said:

1735095.jpg
While people will have different taste preferences I have had the regular 12 year old and I will have to stick to it. Looking at Proof66.com the $65 cask strength scored 512 tier 2 while the $40 12 year old scored a 626 which is tier 1 bordering Top 10%. That is a big difference for $25.

TallyCannon":iav4zrpz said:
Bullwinkle":iav4zrpz said:

1735095.jpg
While people will have different taste preferences I have had the regular 12 year old and I will have to stick to it. Looking at Proof66.com the $65 cask strength scored 512 tier 2 while the $40 12 year old scored a 626 which is tier 1 bordering Top 10%. That is a big difference for $25.

don't I feel stupid

Bullwinkle":0ms25c43 said:
don't I feel stupid
Sorry, that was not my intent.

Seems the price has gone up here locally for Readbrest. It is now $63.99 a bottle! Yikes!

I keep one of these and fill her up from a glass bottle when she gets empty
roundup_0000000000003428_image_01.jpg

it's my favorite but one day I'll fork over the money for Redbreast

I've been learning how to drink Jameson for the last few days, but I think I've got it nailed now. I'm finding that it's like Tullamore Dew in the sense that I can't drink it neat. So far, the only Irish whiskies I can drink neat are the two Bushmills I've tried—white label and the black-label Bushmills Irish Honey.

Jameson is different. For me, it needs a bit of water to smooth it out and open it up. Without the water, it has a sharp, hot alcohol edge that seems...well, almost medicinal. But a splash of spring water makes it mellow and silky smooth. It's too soon to tell whether it will become a mainstay, but it's unquestionably a fine whiskey.

:joker:

My Irish "nirvana" Powers 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey recently tried last year and also ever bought a first case after.

Other Irish also used to enjoy Bushmills 10 Year Old Single Malt and to Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey. (also 3 for ~$35)

Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey is very good and a best buy, especially for Irish coffee

Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey is also best buy and sleeper.

Midleton Rare Irish Whiskey for great but really too pricey.

Have tried most all ones in Irish but is one the worst Paddy's Irish Whiskey.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":c199xi08 said:
My Irish "nirvana" Powers 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey recently tried last year and also ever bought a first case after.
Thanks for that, Jim. Powers was out of stock at BevMo on my last trip, so I went for the Jameson. But Powers does get good reviews, and it's reputed to be the most popular whiskey in Ireland. That will be the next one I try. Eventually, I'll work my way through all the Bushmills offerings.

I mostly drink ConCannon when I'm in the mood for Irish Whisky. A lot like Jameson, but a bit more fruity with a longer finish.

Vito":s9dxyam3 said:
Ol'Dawg":s9dxyam3 said:
............But Powers does get good reviews, and it's reputed to be the most popular whiskey in Ireland.

Many native Irishmen I've called it only "Gold" and sometimes just for specific "Gold Whiskey". As always everybody has there special brand, but seems one use a prefers of "Gold".

Powers 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey as a total animal. And it's difficult find by the close by our near liquor stores in Georgia and South Carolina. It's difficult especially because Georgia liquor is prohibited from on-line sales.

Another possibillity for you is to try http://www.totalwine.com.

Good look!

Jim

PS: If you're trying to writing is difficult, please understand because my morning had a fall after several months and scrambled my brain I can read and hear...but saying and writing is very still difficult. The fall wasn't drinking or even had a hangover before anyone starts excuses to me.

Jim:

Ouch...sorry to hear about your fall, amigo. As for scrambled brain, that seems to happen anyway. It recently took me two days to remember the actor David Niven's name. I could picture him clearly, and even remember several films that he was in, but I just couldn't come up with his name. I refused to peek by Googling for it. It was something I had to make myself remember.

The weird thing about it is that, when I finally remembered his name, I had been thinking about his fellow Brit actor, James Mason, and suddenly Niven's name just popped into my head. The ironic thing about that is the fact that David Niven refused to work with James Mason because Mason was a pacifist, and Niven (temporarily) gave up acting to serve in the British army in WW II. So, whatever the reason I associated the two actors, it couldn't have been because they were in a film together.

The human memory is a truly weird thing.