It's dull?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
I recently bought a laguiole pipe tool with all the amazon cards I got as tips this year. And I have to say, it's is exceptional as far as a pipe tool goes. It has been bequeathed the honored "pipe tool slot" on my Peterson two pipe ashtray. As a pocketknife, it would be a bit dressy for my taste day to day. And it is a pocketknife in both size and heft. Be sure of that. Excellent craftsmanship through and through. The spring lock mechanism is superb and actually requires two hands to close (at least when it's new).

However... it's only good for scraping carbon and buttering bread lol. The metal appears to be of high quality. It would no doubt take a fine edge worthy of the toughest plugs and general knife needs. I don't think considering the price point, I would trust my hand with it on a whetstone, so it may well remain that way permanently however.

Try stropping the edge on a good leather belt. Tie down the belt buckle end and pull the other end tight towards you. You will not scratch up the blade but you will greatly improve the cutting edge. This is from my experience from many years of making custom fixed blade knives. Also ceramic sticks also can give you a razor edge with patience. Good luck!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Not to sound snide but, it is a PIPE TOOL not really considered a pocket knife, it's made for pipes and doesn't need to be sharp.
Although they do make knives I'm sure it isn't sharpen for that reason.
I've seen plenty of damage on pipes from sharp objects being used for reaming.
On the other hand I do really like those, wish I was lucky enough to afford one. ;)

Once sharpened definitely do not use to clean or scrape your pipes bowl. If you purchased the tool for slicing Plug or rope tobacco's that's the only reason you would want the blade on this tool sharp. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

This is all true. I just assumed it would be like my little Sheffield steel pipe tool, which has a sharp, round point knife. It's also much smaller in comparison.

I'm certain most people here messed up one of their first pipes getting overzealous with a knife. I did, and I learned. On a Dr. Grabow lol. 20$ in high school, not a big deal. Most people who would be willing to put the money up for this pipe tool should know better, right?

At the price you paid for that pipe tool it should have a dull blade for the chamber and a very sharp blade for cutting Plug and rope tobacco's, just my opinion. It's a great pipe tool for sure, enjoy.  Me personally, I only use different diameter reaming tools for the chamber. This way I leave a thin layer of cake when I clean one of my pipes.   

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Jevverrett":kl9eu8b7 said:
This is all true. I just assumed it would be like my little Sheffield steel pipe tool, which has a sharp, round point knife. It's also much smaller in comparison.
I'm certain most people here messed up one of their first pipes getting overzealous with a knife. I did, and I learned. On a Dr. Grabow lol. 20$ in high school, not a big deal. Most people who would be willing to put the money up for this pipe tool should know better, right?
If that was so then all the wealthy should be the smartest people in the world.
Money does not give one brains, and I've seen some so called smart people do some real dumb things. ;)

That's true. What I meant to say is that I personally wouldn't spend a bunch of money on something for a new hobby. At least until I was sure I was proficient and engaged enough in it for it to not be waste.