Jinhao 601 under $3.50 shipped.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I forgot you wuz one o' the po folk.

This is the "celluloid" look alike one...I like it.

7a180111.jpg

I just ordered this Jinhao 159 @$3.95 shipped from Hong Kong because I couldn't think of any reason not to. Besides, it's red and I have liked red ever since being weaned. The seller's name (snakewang2005) frightened me at first, but at 445519 successful sales on ebay I should be OK. Plus I can pay for the pen by stiffing the wiper guy at the car wash today.

That 159 is a true beast...the real T-Rex of the lineup. I like the yellow one. It's really YELLOW! Either of these would go well with Apache Sunset or perhaps Habanero or Dragon.

Lotsa good stuff out there. I agree that for a couple of bucks ya can't go wrong. I laugh at reviews that bitch and moan about this or that three dolla pen being crappy compared to their favorite Pilot two hundred dollar job.

Yeah, it's a Mont Blanc 149 knock-off of sorts. I had a 149 once, but other than its looks and the way the piston worked, I didn't care for it. I write with, and am satisfied with, a Lamy Safari, which I've had forever. But it's an ugly pen; if this writes as reliably, then I'm ahead because this one is prettier. About ink and paper, I know zip. When I want my writing to look cool, I use a dip pen with an artist's C-6 Speedball nib--you know, the one with the brass springy thing that makes it hold more ink? Put some permanent black India ink on some Eaton 100% cotton, and you've got a friggin' document, man.

If you want to spend some time scrolling through various inks...look up "VittaR" on uTube. She does a very straightforward format and has LOTS of colors and makers that she does reviews on.

If you're looking for a permanent black...Noodlers Black is universally accepted. If you want red, there's a number of good options. Check out Goulet Pen Co.'s website...

https://www.gouletpens.com/swab-shop

Then, the paper. Can't go wrong with Rhodia, though I like Tomoe River (but it's too thin for most folks).

Part of the fun!