Keeping Snuff Fresh

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
I am awaiting my first snuff order. 1x Poschl Gawith Apricot, 1x Crumbs of Comfort 10g, F&T French Carotte and Morlaix 25g. I have experience only with Poschl packaging (their plastic tap box with the rubber stopper), but I have no experience with F&T containers or those of WOS.

How well do their products keep in their original containers? Should I be looking for alternate storage containers for any of these?

Thanks, D&B

F&T come in a screw top tin so they should be fine. WoS come in a press closed tin and those will dry out on you...unless you snuff a lot quickly; if I recall correctly there isn't really a seal. Tehy do close off fairly tight in most instances, and I generally have to reopen with my pocket knife each time. Once the "seal" on the WoS is loose enough for me to just twist open I look for something else. They do sell little snuff containers also on Mr. Snuff. The SamG are a tap box and those will dry out quicker than most, YMMV.

Now if you buy in bulk ever Abraxas containers are good to go as is. Viking is good to go as is. F&T is made by WoS and come in the same containers as WoS bulk. They say that they are good for long term storage but i have problems trusting that and jarred them in mason jars....same with SamG since it was in the same sort of container.

Kaiser gave you a good run down.

Some snuff that I bought in smaller amounts (5 - 25 gram) that I did not finish immediately I stored in small amber bottles. 2 oz bottle will hold about 25 grams. 1 oz will easily hold 10 grams.

But that is an added expense.

With the Wilson's you can wrap the side in electrical tap and store it in a baggie. That will help. But for bulk or long term storage glass is best IMO.

Treat snuff as pipe tobacco. If it isn't in a vacuum sealed tin, put it in mason jars and it will keep indefinitely. 4oz jars hold 50g. Your snuff WILL degrade if you keep it in the original packaging for very long.

I keep many in vacuum sealed mason jars to keep them "as is" as I wish to prevent aging or dulling of the topping flavors, but even without the vacuum a mason jar does a fine job.