Lamy Safari for the kids

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
My kids (8 and 11) have grown up seeing me with my cherished Parker Sonnet, indeed, it's probably fair to say that to them it's part of my identity. I was delighted therefore to hear them both say that they hope Santa brings them a fountain pen like Daddy's this year. Keen to get them on board I've bought them both a colourful Lamy Safari with medium nibs.

My other choice would have been Parker Vector, a pen that's remained pretty much unchanged since I was a kid. However, I remember that when posted the lid eventually becomes sloppy (plastic lid stretching over a metal post) so decided I'd try another respected brand but one I've not experienced before - the Lamy.

Any experience of this writing implement folks?

Cheers,

Stick.

I've got a couple of Lamy AL-stars which I'm pretty sure is just Safari in an aluminum body. I like them a lot. Most of the time I'm using a broad nib. I think they're a perfect pen to start getting into using a fountain pen. The body has a nice grip to help you hold it correctly. From the Lamy site:

"Lamy Safari grips feature recessed grooves that direct writers to pick up their pens ergonomically. The indentations encourage you to place your thumb, index finger, and middle finger in a tripod position so that writing sessions are comfortable. There are slight grip variations between different Lamy Safari pens. The fountain pen has two deep indentations for you to place your thumb and index finger on whereas the rollerball and mechanical pencil have three shallower grooves."