Lighter Repair Suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorringowl

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a couple of vintage NOS Pierre Cardin Lighters (I collect Pierre Cardin Tobacciana), neither of which work, even though they're (technically) new.

They both immediately leak butane as soon as you try to fill it.

I had a chance to take the cover off one and it looks like there might be a rubber seal or gasket underneath the torch mechanism (see the pics) that maybe needs to be replaced? I'm thinking it might have dried out due to non use.

My question is: Is this something I can do myself? And, if not, does anyone know a good lighter repair person to do this kind of work? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PClighter1.jpg

PClighter3.jpg

PClighter2copy.jpg

I've taken apart and fixed many a lighter. If you get the right "O" ring, you should be able to do it yourself. They wear out, crack, get brittle and sometimes simply pop out. If you can empty the lighter, that brass part you're pointing out ought to unscrew from the plastic butane housing easily enough. If you're lucky, you can at least rescue the "O" ring to measure it. Once you have, a trip to the hardware store in the plumbing department might get you what you need, or something really close. I've gotten SUPER small "O" rings from Home Despot before.

The problem you'll have if you do is probably more leaks, usually because of the molding flash that wasn't finished off the sides. If you have some precision files, buff off any "flaps" of excess rubber to encourage a tight seal.

Sometimes this trick works, sometimes you still get a little leak.

Yesterday my problem was getting the electronic ignition wire to line back up with the tip to ignite a flame... THAT is tough. I hate cheap lighters, and too broke for an Old Boy... :lol: