Lighting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I imagine this topic has come up before, but since my lighter is falling apart I thought I would bring it up. I have a cheap pipe lighter. It's called a Vertigo, cost about $24, and is about two months old. The pin is getting loose and it hardly works anymore. I have to fill it about twice a week, and to be honest with you I think it sucks. I picked up the Bic and lit my pipe. It worked just fine. I'm going to stick with a Bic. I know that many people would discourage this, but there are three reasons why I prefer using the Bic.

1. They seem to last forever and I don't have to worry about refilling all the time.

2. The size of the flame works for me. The only time I typically need to relight is towards the bottom of the bowl and I need a little longer flame. I am constantly adjusting the size of the flame on the Vertigo pipe lighter.

3. I am careful when I light my pipes, paying close attention not to char the rim.

Oh yeah, plus I can open bottles of beer with a Bic, which is always an added bonus.

Am I way out of line here?

Milan

Milan":vso6meeo said:
Am I way out of line here? Milan

If the bic works for you and you're happy with it you're golden.

Personally I use a Lampyridae but availability is seasonal

You seem to already be aware of the dangers of using a "torch" like lighter and if you are careful, as you stated, you shouldn't have any problems.

Personally, I prefer wooden matches, but to each his/her own.

I like using matches too. I just don't understand the difference between pipe lighters that have an upright flame and a Bic? They seem to be exactly the same to me with exception to price and the refill option.