Loose bit/military mount

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
I have a Savinelli Punto Oro that needs a bit of work. The stem which fits into a military mount is extraordinarily loose when in the appropriate position. Turn it a little ways clockwise or counter clockwise and it's tight. Any advice for a fix?

I should also mention that the stem orginally had a stinger that was clipped to a nub.

Do you have some pictures? That might help with an appropriate diagnosis.

You could try what works for me with my Pete systems, put the stem in at an angle and straighten it up till tight. That is presuming the actual stem and mount are still round of course, if this isn't the case I'd be sending it off to a repairer.

Good luck.

Tim

Jesse, I'll try to get some pics up when I am back in town.

Timbo, thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about the Pete systems. This is more of an exact fit not fitting kind of problem. The stem is not as tapered and it's quite slim. So I can't depend on the extra stem material higher up to create a tighter fit, if that makes sense.

Perhaps bees wax could help. At this point it's a clencher's worst nightmare. If you insert the stem and invert the pipe holding the stem, the bowl will slip right off. It was fine in the summer. I wonder if the cold weather has affected the stem material enough to cause the loose fit...

DrumsAndBeer":je9aa1ut said:
Perhaps bees wax could help. At this point it's a clencher's worst nightmare. If you insert the stem and invert the pipe holding the stem, the bowl will slip right off. It was fine in the summer. I wonder if the cold weather has affected the stem material enough to cause the loose fit...
Over the years of my smoking, I've found that cold weather DOES effect how bits fit in the stems. Most of my regular briar.bit pipes will be a bit loose if I spend much time outside smoking in the cold. I believe the vulcanite ( which seems to be effected more by this) shrinks in the cold and expands in the heat . try smoking inside only and see if that helps. :twisted: :twisted:

Could you heat the end and expand it with something? I know you can shape and bend those stems after applying heat, perhaps something along those lines would help?

Sorry for the late arrival. Cut a piece from a bit of heavy paper -- about 1/2" X 1". There's nothing firm, here, whatever works. Put the stem into the bowl with your paper shim beside it. The shim should not extend further into the air passage than the end of the stem. If the stem is tight enough with your shim, just twitch off the tag, and you're in business. Still not tight enough? Make a wider or thicker shim.

Before doing anything else, I'd make sure the shank is free of any tar build-up. The last two military mounts I worked in, there were ridges created in the shank, which contributed to a wobbly stem. Once cleaned, the stems fits snugly and properly.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I'll inspect the pipe for build-up. Aside from that, I am thinking it may have to do with one of two things, cold weather or removal of the fixed stinger, which was clipped off (not by me) at the base of the stem. I am thinking that perhaps the stinger helped stabilize the tenon to mortise connection since it pushed into the airway some.

Okay, problem solved. The issue was with the remaining 16th of an inch (if that even) of the stinger that was still embedded in the end of the stem. I took a metal file and ever so gently filed it down as close as I could to the ebonite. Fits nice and snug now. What a difference a fraction of an inch can make.  ;)  Thank you all kindly for you input and advice. 8)