Lucchese Boots: Any good?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
I've worn roper boots since my ranch hand/heavy equipment operator days. Anybody have any experience with these? Are they worth four bills or so?

I have 2 pairs of Lucchese boots. Made here in the USA and the best quality ever. Highly recommended for sure. They're not inexpensive but will last longer and fit more comfortably than any other. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Well, that seems to reflect the review consensus. Guess I'll have to upgrade from my trusty Justins. Glad I only need ropers ($); I'm already 6'4'' and a tall heel seems excessive for me. Would love to go wild with black crocodile, but sanity reins me in. (And the factory rebuild is only $259!) Thanks, guys.

I wore Lama boots back in the era I needed them. Had custom measured by a factory rep. That really seemed the key -- regardless of price point.

I've worn Lucchese boots for over 30 years now and can wholeheartedly recommend 'em! Since I live only a little over 260 miles north of San Antonio, I've always gone to the factory store and had mine made to measure. I think they offer this service at major dealers so you may want to check as it does make a BIG difference fit and wear wise over the years though I'm sure their "out of the box" boots would do as well . I wear their Ropers almost every day and had a pair of full on western dress boots made from German Chocolate Calf about 4 years ago. Here's some pics of them and the style of Roper I buy. Both are available "out of the box" I just like to get 'em MTM :twisted:

Dress boots:

Ropers:

I HIGHLY RECOMEND 'em :cheers:

MisterE":ltd5rm4n said:
The Luccheses I was thinking of seem to prefer these....

They had some of those on display down at the store in SA last time I was there! The sign on them said "Zacatecas Especiales, $100.00/pr MTM" . They said they sell a lot of 'em to Federales officers in Mexico City :twisted: :twisted:

Some Luccheses are made in Mexico and are thinner leather. They're still okay, but the American ones are more durable.

Andy Lowry":4y7vcqcw said:
Some Luccheses are made in Mexico and are thinner leather. They're still okay, but the American ones are more durable.

Just about EVERY major western boot maker has had their factories over in Mexico for several decades now. The only Lucchese's made in San Antonio are the Made To Measure and you have to go to San Antonio to get those :)

Lucchese has been around awhile but, after buying several pair now I don't believe there worth the money unless your just going to wear them as dress up.
I've been wearing boots since I was 14 years old, I buy a pair and wear them, work and play.
Although there's a lot less of both in my life I still wear them till they wear out. Luuchese's lasted me about 4 months and that's horrible when you consider a pair Tony Lama's lasts me years. There soles are made of cheap grade leather and I can't say much for the uppers. But the totally fell apart. Do yourself and your pocket book a favor and buy a pair of Tony Lamas or Justin's.
I have both Tony Lama and Justin's in my closet and on my feet that are older then my kids and maybe even some of you.

I bought a pair of second hand Lucchese black cherry ropers awhile back and they're gorgeous. I got a great deal on them of course. I also got a pair of Stetson brand boots more recently that are manufactured in Mexico and I think I paid in the mid two hundreds and they're great at that price. I've seen a lot of Mexican boots I wouldn't spend any money on but I don't believe, in boots, that Mexico is a red flag word. It's more of a yellow flag word. Mexico is capable of making good boots. Scrutinize carefully to make sure that particular boot is made to a quality you require. And of course, don't spend Lucchese money on them.

I have a pair of Lucchese that must be 15 years old. Well broken in but no where near ready to give up the Ghost. The only pair of Tony llamas I have made in El Paso are Ostrich and they are even older. Both brands are comfortable. I have no idea if the Lucchese boots I have were made in El Paso as I don't see any tag in them.