Making Black Russian

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Following a friend's recipe that seems pretty odd, but it's in the fridge for stage #1.
one 750 ml bottle of 151 proof rum (I'm using DonQ)
one 750 ml bottle of 151 proof Everclear grain alcohol
20 standard coffee scoops of coarsely ground dark roast coffee
Combine one cup sugar and 750ml boiling water and run in a blender for 60 seconds

In a container that will hold everything, mix together the rum, grain alcohol, and coffee grounds.
Stir
Add the sugar syrup and stir it all together
Cover and put in the fridge. Sir in the morning and evening for one week.
Pour through a double layer of fine mesh strainers and discard the grounds.
Pour through a Chemex or Bodum pour through filter.
Put the liquid into a large pitcher and back into the fridge; rest for two days.
Line a large strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth and strain.

Is the Black Russian recipe or the recipe for a coffee liqueur to make a Black Russian??
It's his recipe for Black Russian. Usually I see a Black Russian recipe as 2 parts vodka to one part coffee liqueur.
I'll have to taste it when it's fully strained and decide, provided I can still stand up. I gotta go stir it now.

3:45 PM....I gave it a quick taste and there is more than ample coffee flavor to this mixture. It is beyond intense. I poured it through a double layer of fine meshed strainers. Discarded all the grounds. Poured it through a double layer of Bodum pour over filters. Cleaned everything up, then lined the pourover filters with a double layer of cheesecloth and poured through the cheesecloth.
I began with 750 ml rum, 750 ml grain alcohol, 750 ml water, one cup sugar, and the ground coffee.
Finished product is 1500 ml of liquid. The coffee grounds absorbed 750 ml of liquid. I don't know if this is efficient use of the spirits. I think it would have been more efficient to cover and boil the coffee grounds in the 750 ml of water, then add the sugar to that. Or perhaps, put the grounds and water in a crockpot for several hours at medium heat, then add the sugar and strain, followed by adding the rum and alcohol.
Quick taste=very strong alcohol content and flavor. I think this concoction is best defined as a strong coffee liqueur, not a Black Russian; rather an ingredient for Black Russian.
I put 1.5 oz in a glass, added some milk and it's delicious. White Russian.

Last edited:
Sounds yum, here in Aus a Black Russian is a shot of Kahlua and a shot of vodka, a shot of cream is optional.

My pour mans version is just vodka and Kailua and maybe with a little half/half. A bartender friend of mine had what she called a burnt almond was vodka, Amaretto and a little half/half. I do like your version Steve but seems like a lot of work.