mason jars versus weck or bail-top jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would venture that not all bail-top (or mason) jars are created equally; we use them for storage of dryed goods in our pantry, and I am certain some (read: dollar store offerings) are not properly sealed, however, we've also purchased some that have a silicone gasket as opposed to rubber, and these are certainly air-tight (we keep aromatic herbs...not the smoking kind...in these; since my pantry doesn't smell like a Persian bazaar, I know we're ok!). Figure its best to be safe, rather than sorry, so I use Mason.

All the major brands sterilize their products before shipping, however, I wouldn't take any chances; studies that I have partaken in show that its not so much bacteria that we need to be concerned about, but rather rat urine and roach crap - and I for one don't need to be smoking the hanta virus...

Mason (Ball) Jars work for me. I have about 50 of them, various sizes from quart, pint to jelly jar, with varying amounts of tobacco in them. I have never had a problem with them for either long term or short term storage. When I open a tin that I know will take me longer than a month to finish, the tobacco goes immediately into an appropriate sized mason jar. I have a few bail top jars but discontinued using them when I found a supply of mason jars at my local hardware store. Mason jars stack better than bail jars and take up less shelf space due to the lids.

I think you'd be safe with either but for me, the mason jars are the way to go. Probably cheaper than the bail tops too, but I could not be sure. The only negative is that you loose the "aura" of the tin (artwork, verbiage, etc...) - in other words, the mason jars are waaaay less sexy than the original tin, but I can live with it!!!

Lou

Good thing I read this ,I was looking into getting some of the Bail jars. There are a couple other kinds of jars I was looking at as well one with the glass lid with the plastic ring to seal it like these.

Bell-Jar-1_25-gallon-1-ea.png

or the ones with a cork stopper like this

31ypyG7w9dL__SL500_AA300_.jpg