Meerschaum Pipes: do they smoke hot or not?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarneOut

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy my meerschaum pipes, but have noticed they all smoke way hotter than my briars. If I'm not careful, the temperature of the smoke can be quite aggressive.

I'm confused because most every resource I can find online about meerschaum pipes insists they provide an especially cool smoke.

Do any of you guys find that you get a cool smoke out of your meers?

I find all 3 of mine to smoke cool.
Thanks for your reply.

I love the flavor I get from my meers, and I can usually keep them smoking cool enough, but I have to enforce a less frequent puffing cadence than with my briars.

Do you find that your meers smoke particularly more coolly than your briars? Or just cool in general.

I have maybe 8 meers. 4 of them smoke cool most of the time if I'm careful about what blends I put in them. The other 4 I have to nurse slightly to keep cool.

I have maybe 8 meers. 4 of them smoke cool most of the time if I'm careful about what blends I put in them. The other 4 I have to nurse slightly to keep cool.
That sounds about like my experience. It's not that hard to nurse them and pay a little attention to the temperature, I just found it odd that meers are touted as being especially cool, when it seems like most any cob or briar is way harder to overheat.

While I will occasionally smoke straight Ginnyweed in my Meers, I prefer Latweeds/Orientals most all the time. Always get a nice cool smoke out of my Meers!! FWIW...FTRPLT

Thanks for your reply.

I love the flavor I get from my meers, and I can usually keep them smoking cool enough, but I have to enforce a less frequent puffing cadence than with my briars.

Do you find that your meers smoke particularly more coolly than your briars? Or just cool in general.

Cool in general, I wouldn't say it's particularly more or less than any of my briars. All 3 of them have fairly large bowls and thick walls...I don't know how much that contributes to it. I just don't like small, lightweight pipes in general.

Cool in general, I wouldn't say it's particularly more or less than any of my briars. All 3 of them have fairly large bowls and thick walls...I don't know how much that contributes to it. I just don't like small, lightweight pipes in general.
Interesting, that may be an important factor. Most of my meers are relatively small and lightweight. My next meer is probably going to be a large one, I'll see if that makes a difference

I generally smoke Peterson meers, so walls only a few mill thick. I find they smoke about the same heat as my briars with a slightly better flavour.

Need to try some Virginia in there as I mostly smoke Latakia blends.