Meershaum bowl is cracked

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
The meerschaum bowl from my calabash pipe has a crack in it. Can I use pipe mud
to fix it? Can I put it on the outside of the bowl or inside, or both sides?
I haven't smoked this pipe in many years and would like to smoke it again, but I'm afraid the bowl might fall apart if I put tobacco in it. What should I do?

Well...if there is no fix for it then doing nothing gains you nothing. If you tried to fix it and it failed you’ll have the same result. If you try to fix it and it works then you’re the big winner. I’d do as much research as possible and give it a go or send it to someone if they claim they can do it.

I found this on another forum...

“Coat the break with a little egg white let it dry then use super glue.I have repaired 3 meerschaums like this and haven't had any come apart do to heat. Having it banded will insure a longer life.”

Google it and keep digging. Good luck, bro.

plus 1 for the egg white. that stuff is incredibly strong when dried.

not sure i would use super glue though - certainly not on the inside of the bowl.

I think I'll fry up some eggs for breakfast! ;) But before I do that, I'll take some of the eggwhite and smear it on the bowl. I'll let it dry and then maybe use some pipe mud. I'm not too keen on using any type of superglue for this.

If you cannot get a fix for it, you might try Briarworks or Vermont freehand for a replacement.

I put the egg white on the outside of the bowl and then let it dry out. This morning I inspected it and the egg white had hardened nicely. After putting the bowl under the lamp, I saw more cracks so, I decided to try the super glue and brushed it on all the cracks I found. This afternoon I inspected it again and it looks good. Now to smoke it and see what happens. If it turns out ok, then I will use it for the guinea pig and cover the meerschaum bowl with olive oil to see what happens! Then I will probably just display it on a rack. Oh boy, another project! Now I will build a special rack for the calabash!:)

The cracking looks pretty normal to me. I doubt very much that it will fall apart. I cleaned mine before I had it fixed and noticed similar cracking inside my tobacco chamber once I got down past the carbon staining. It hasn't been treated in anyway and hasn't compromised the bowl yet in any way. I wouldn't worry too much about it as I haven't found any rhyme or reason to meerschaum failures. If it's going to break there's nothing you can do to prevent it so enjoy it while you can. If it does break you can glue it back together using just egg white. Be sure to whip them well before application. After it dries you can try smoking it or just display it but the egg white will hold unbelievably well.

Just m