Memorable drinks...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
This weekend I had the fortune of having back to back memorable drinks from a very talented and knowledgeable mixologist. The place is Swing Wine Bar in downtown Olympia ( http://www.swingwinebar.com/ ). I had been there a few times but usually only had a glass of wine or a beer as we had some appetizers before going somewhere else for the night. This time it was a different bartender and I was feeling the need for a cocktail.

When the bartender asked what I would like I scanned the shelf of vodkas and ordered a Grey Goose and tonic. He then asked if I would like to try his homemade tonic water. I asked how does one make homemade tonic water and he explained the complex process. After his explanation I had no choice but to try it. THE BEST drink I remember ever having. For anyone interested, this sounds close to the recipe he described. http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

After that we continued to talk about different drinks and spirits. I noticed a few absinthe glasses so I asked what they had. He suggested I try Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure ( http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=493 ) which is hands down the best absinthe I have ever had and he served it up exactly as it should have been.

I've been around the bar industry for many years. My ex girlfriend of seven years was a bartender and won quite a few awards in the industry but this guy really knew his stuff. Haven't been that impressed in a long time and I'm glad he's a local resource.

So what's your memorable ones?

In terms of drinks memorable for fine barcraft, the honor goes to Milk and Honey, a speakeasy in SoHo/Chinatown. The best of everything, made with care. We all ordered one drink, and then let the bartender riff from there. Best Negroni I've ever had--the waiter mentioned an unusual vermouth that gave it the kick. Even my girlfriend's Pink Lady--not usually a "serious" drink--was killer.

For pure memories, though, it get no better than having martinis with my grandfather at a steakhouse. Well-made, but nothing fancy--Tanqueray, dry, anchovy-stuffed olives. I mark it because it was the first time I ate a raw oyster, and I believe the last time he was well enough to leave the house. A very good evening.

1972...The old Raffles Hotel, Singapore....Sitting on the veranda sipping many a proper gin & tonic, smoking Cuban cigars, contemplating before dinner Martinis and the ladies with us. Trying to imagine what is was like during the pre-war "Days of Empire." Authentic Singapore Slings with dessert. Afterwards, coffee, port, and cigars on the veranda.

Only problem is I have no idea what gin the bartender was using in the three drinks!! Never thought to ask. The G & T's were exceptionally refreshing; I have no idea how many we ordered. Didn't matter, we followed them up with many rounds of 'Tinis!!! 38 years ago!!! YGBSM :lol!: :lol!: FTRPLT