Mentoring needed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmitchem

Reaction score
I am a new pipe smoker coming over from the cigar side- those of you with cigar humidors understand the anal tendencies of cigar enthusiasts and our humidors

I keep mine at a constant 72% humidity and roughly 68degrees and stashed in my bedroom closet for added measure

From my reading and lurking it seems that pipe tobacco is much more forgiving and can actually be revitalized if abused slightly.

I am still anal so what humidity should pipe tobacco be stored at and what is a range of temp that is safe? Obviously with various mason jars and tins I don't think my wife will allow me to take over any more of the closet :)

New tobacco straight into a mason jar if bought in bulk and close the lid. The only anal part about it will be if you want to go through the work of giving it a real seal beyond just cranking the lid down tight.

kaiser83":lzrjalp8 said:
The only anal part about it will be if you want to go through the work of giving it a real seal beyond just cranking the lid down tight.
There's a joke in there, somewhere.

My advice? Buy tins when possible, then do NOTHING but keep them somewhere they won't get banged around too badly.

If you do buy bulk, just do what Kaiser said - put it in a mason jar as soon as you can. In either case, if you plan to age the tobacco, don't break the seal on the tin or open the mason jar. Just let it be.

jjmitchem":vrqycjrk said:
I am a new pipe smoker coming over from the cigar side- those of you with cigar humidors understand the anal tendencies of cigar enthusiasts and our humidors

I keep mine at a constant 72% humidity and roughly 68degrees and stashed in my bedroom closet for added measure

From my reading and lurking it seems that pipe tobacco is much more forgiving and can actually be revitalized if abused slightly.

I am still anal so what humidity should pipe tobacco be stored at and what is a range of temp that is safe? Obviously with various mason jars and tins I don't think my wife will allow me to take over any more of the closet :)

Am I understanding that you keep your cigars at 72% humidity?

Yes I do. And then ill dry box a few to smoke

I use 65% Shiala Beads but here in Hawaii it's hard to maintain that low of number consistently

jjmitchem":7tn2c0jf said:
Yes I do. And then ill dry box a few to smoke

I use 65% Shiala Beads but here in Hawaii it's hard to maintain that low of number consistently

I use 65% Heartfelt Beads.

Dry box works.
I guess 72% is OK for storage, but too wet to smoke.

I try an dry box but I've never had a problem smoking right out of my humi here. But like I said I'm in a tropical environment.

jjmitchem":mszfevvy said:
I try an dry box but I've never had a problem smoking right out of my humi here. But like I said I'm in a tropical environment.

I'm "sub-tropical," but we have air conditioning. :lol:

Chappy, whenever you have a question, this would be a good place to post it!