Merkur 37C Slant Bar Safety Razor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
...is my favorite razor because of its "aggressiveness." I first encountered it in one of the James Bond novels, so I knew it had to be cool, right? Anyhow, I am currently using an Edwin Jagger, which is OK, and my two 37Cs lie in a drawer. Why, you may ask? Because the friggin' screw eventually pulled out of the top plate of both, making the units worthless. (To be exact, the first one I had was a Hoffritz, as in the novel, but it's the exact same razor to my eye and knowledge.)

Two questions: Anyone else ever have this happen? And how might one get these fixed? The second razor took five years to separate, the first much longer. The razors are only 50 bucks or so, and I'm thinking of getting another, but it's really a pain in the fundament when the thing falls apart in your hand while shaving. Yes, I've written this and that company, and they don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I have the 39c. Got it for Christmas, no problems 9 months later...  But I do admit to becoming a little slack in the shaving department as of late. I've even taken to saying screw it and quit shaving my head.

Depression or laziness.. Don't know,don't care, to lazy to worry about it,it sucks, whatever. :D :( :roll:

I sometimes opt for the haggard look, myself. Too often, actually. Wish my beard weren't flecked with grey or white or whatever it is. One of the virtues of the slant-bar Merkur is that it's a very open comb, and can easily deal with slothful, wino whiskers. The regular Merkur is probably near as good. Ain't got the dedication or balls to use a straight, though I have tried it and liked it.

I shave with a similar safety razor. I love the way it shaves, but hate actually having to shave. As far as that top screw, I would take it to a radiator repair shop and see if they can braze that screw back in place. I think that brazing will be the only way to fix it.

A straight is nothing to fear. Concentrate and go slow, you will feel it going into the flesh before it cuts. Lol. Any resistance at all and you stop. its pretty simple and it's pretty effective. I can shave faster and mo better with my straight than I can with my 39c.