Microwave Seal

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually run some hot tap water in a pan, put the baccy in the jars with the lid and ring loose let them sit for 10 minutes then screw the lid down tight. the lids pop in about 10 minutes of cooling. :cheers:

Interesting topic, I usually just jar it and screw down the lid, I do have a vacuum seal machine and have been toying with that idea. My question is at what point does it make since to arrest or slow the aging process of a tobacco. I hear 8-10 years for a Lat blend and even longer for a VA blend. If you have old tins from the 70s or 80s does it make since to put them mason jars to ensure you dont have any integrity issues with the original tins or should you just let them set?

New Smoker":sp446hhf said:
I usually run some hot tap water in a pan, put the baccy in the jars with the lid and ring loose let them sit for 10 minutes then screw the lid down tight. the lids pop in about 10 minutes of cooling. :cheers:
Interesting Info NS, thanks for sharing!!

I've never had a problem with just putting the tobacco into jars, screwing down the ring, and letting time have its way with the stuff. Not only is there no reason to heat them, or go to any other lengths, I'm actually convinced that heating the tobacco may not be optimal for it. If the manufacturer wanted the tobacco stoved, it would have been made that way. (There's an article in the Chronicles about some Odyssey that had been heated this way, and how it compared after just a few years with some that was not.)

And, remember that because of the way microwave ovens work, the internal temperatures of the tobacco are likely to be significantly higher than what you are feeling. Once those water molecules set about their high-velocity square dance, you're getting some serious heating.

As to washing the jars, though they're sterile when they're packed, they are picking up airborne spores, yeasts and bacteria when they're sitting around. It's probably okay to use them as is, but I prefer to be safe, and do a hot water rinse, followed by drying and cooling them upside down on a rack.

glpease":o9bt0oya said:
I've never had a problem with just putting the tobacco into jars, screwing down the ring, and letting time have its way with the stuff. Not only is there no reason to heat them, or go to any other lengths, I'm actually convinced that heating the tobacco may not be optimal for it. If the manufacturer wanted the tobacco stoved, it would have been made that way. (There's an article in the Chronicles about some Odyssey that had been heated this way, and how it compared after just a few years with some that was not.)

And, remember that because of the way microwave ovens work, the internal temperatures of the tobacco are likely to be significantly higher than what you are feeling. Once those water molecules set about their high-velocity square dance, you're getting some serious heating.

As to washing the jars, though they're sterile when they're packed, they are picking up airborne spores, yeasts and bacteria when they're sitting around. It's probably okay to use them as is, but I prefer to be safe, and do a hot water rinse, followed by drying and cooling them upside down on a rack.
The Guru has spoken!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":epqfxg20 said:
glpease":epqfxg20 said:

The Guru has spoken!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Thank you Mr. Pease :cheers:

nate560":9766v3y2 said:
I have around 20 cases of various size mason jars and all I do is fill them up and put the lid on. I opened a jar last week that was sealed 11 years ago and it was perfect. I trade 2oz of FVF that was from 2007 to Maiser this week and it had a some nice sugar on it. Just what I do load and seal to each his own.
It's true!

The sugar was glistening and the tobacco was moist, well aged, and beautiful, I can attest to this.

Maiser":nfic9dng said:
nate560":nfic9dng said:
I have around 20 cases of various size mason jars and all I do is fill them up and put the lid on. I opened a jar last week that was sealed 11 years ago and it was perfect. I trade 2oz of FVF that was from 2007 to Maiser this week and it had a some nice sugar on it. Just what I do load and seal to each his own.
It's true!

The sugar was glistening and the tobacco was moist, well aged, and beautiful, I can attest to this.
Good to hear Gents!
You gota love sugar coated FVF!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: