Mitsubishi Bank Paper set - rare deal.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I love a bargain. I love unique paper. Here's a case in point.

$15 for a high quality fountain pen friendly stationary set...100 sheets and 50 envelopes! Now THAT'S a good deal.

http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/mitsubishi-bank-paper-letter-set-88gsm-special-deal.html

If you do a google search on Mitsubishi Bank Paper there's some interesting information out there. But it's good stuff with an interesting history...and $15 for a hundred sheets and fifty envelopes is just crazy.

I ordered two sets.

PS: the offering vendor on this is selling these below cost. I've ordered from them before...absolutely my top recommendation.

Blackhorse
Appreciate you posting your find, extremely cheap. I wanted the paper with no lines and right now it's out of stock. I will be notified by email when back in stock some time next week. I've used Mitsubishi pencils for quite some time now, top notch quality.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

LC - after reading the description of this item it became pretty obvious that pricing for the set at $15 is due to the slight oddities...aspects I can easily live with. But you won't see a restocked set for anywhere near the same price, I'm thinking

Vendor's comment..."This is one of those projects that didn't quite turn out the way we expected - but then again, there is nothing really "wrong" with the product itself, and the paper is still of very high quality, so we are offering it here at a substantial discount (in other words, we are losing money on it). This is the exact same paper as the excellent "Mitsubishi Bank Paper", and if purchased from Life Co., a set like this would cost around $35-40...a similar pad from Life, with 100 sheets, costs about $15 by itself, BEFORE shipping from Japan. So this is indeed a very low price for 100 sheets and 50 matching envelopes!"

Do a search on "Life Bank Paper" and you will find that indeed a 100 sheet pad in even the A5 size is going for more than $15.

The lines on this are pretty unique in that they are much wider than most, nearly ideal for a cool open cursive. Look at the photos at the link for good examples.

Lines...no lines...certainly up to you. But I imagine when and if a new product is offered it's gonna be three times the price.

Blackhorse
Thanks for the heads up!! Your most likely right about the pricing so I just ordered a set with the lines, which in reality will be just fine. What a deal, thanks and be well, Ted

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Got mine in. Like it fine. Haven't put it to the nib yet, but will try tomorrow.

Edit: Couldn't wait...impetuous me.

I think you're going to like this paper. It feels heavier than Rhodia (Clairfontaine). It feels massive next to Tomoe River...but then most things do. It has a weird combination of smoothness but just a wee bit of tooth. I like writing on far more than I thought I would. It just feels good.

I haven't done any comparisons re dry times, etc., etc.

This paper: 88 gsm
The envelopes: 66 gsm
Rhodia: 90 gsm
Tomoe River paper: 52 gsm

Now even though it's substantial I would still use a writing shield (thin plastic sheet below the page you're writing on) if you leave the sheet attached to the pad while writing. A fountain pen is typically a very light touch, far more so than a ballpoint or rollerball, but there's still the chance of imprinting pages below the one you're writing on with your pen.

Anyway, this confirms my "steal of the century" prediction.

WhoooHooooo!

Blackhorse
If your satisfied I'm sure I will be once my order arrives. Appreciate the recommendation, thank you.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!