My first Bamboo Stemmed Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this is my first foray into bamboo, so please give me your honest opinion. There are some things that I'm not entirely satisfied with, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it.

021704.jpg

025013.jpg

025045.jpg

025105.jpg

And the obligatory glamor shot.

025131.jpg

Thanks for looking and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Todd

Everything is all wrong with that pipe Todd,,,I've got to be honest with you,,you've made a serious mistake,,,

First of all it's in the wrong location,,,,Ohio is not good for bamboo,,,you obviously need help correcting this serious blunder,,,it needs to be moved east,,,into MY pipe rack,,, I'll PM my address and after it arrives here I'll keep you updated on how the break in goes and how well it smokes. Even after straightening out this terrible mistake and saving you eventual heartbreak, there's no need to thank me, and no charge,,,I'm glad to help, that's just how I am,,, :D

nice grain, great color, I'll wager it's a good smoker too.

It's a provocative piece!
For me, most bamboo pipes fall into the "eh" category, and only a few really catch my eye in a positive way.
This one...I need to really consider.
I think the incorporation of the bamboo element was nicely done, and the stubby stem really looks inviting as well.
Maybe if the equator of the bowl had an angle that better reflected the tilt of the shank, I might not be as equivocal.
Still, a very good looking pipe, and for me, one that inspires contemplation.

First, I am a bamboo fan, big time. I have eight or nine. Haven't been able to buy a new pipe in a year or so, but I would certainly consider this one. It is very nicely done. The bamboo looks like it belongs. Great shape, nicely finished, well done!

Taharris WOW, that is gorgeous! It is really amazing. I have never before seen a bamboo stemmed pipe that I have been drawn to before, & today I have seen two bamboo stems made by BoB members that I would purchase INSTANTLY if the wife wouldn't lose it.

Between this & the bamboo stemmed morta, I am really thinking I need to add one of these to my collection.

On a secondary note, how does bamboo hold up, is it strong, does it color differently, do you care for it any way out of the ordinary from a normal pipe?

I have to say it again, absolutely beautiful pipe there!

Thank you all. I am humbled by your response.

I, honestly, don't have much experience with bamboo as this is my first time working with it.

I believe that it does eventually darken as it is smoked.

Thanks again,

Todd

Ok fellas.. I jump in on this one.. but first thing is first.. Todd.. nicely done

For the bamboo.. well I have a few I've made for myself and they aren't coloring that I've noticed.. Care for them? just like with briar.. I clean them out when smoked.. its strong enough. if you have a thinner shanked briar it can snap also.. you just have to be careful with it.. I've carried my in my backpack through the UK, Africa, Texas and Europe.. more airports than you can image.. smokes as good as it did the first day

james

James,

I apologize for not posting this earlier, your bamboo shanked morta is beautiful!

And thanks for chiming in on your experience with bamboo.

Todd

Besides getting a good belly-laugh out of Mark's post, looks good, Todd. I'm not a bamboo fan, partly because I find so much of the stem typically using bamboo, there's just too much of it. It seems to work better on shorter, or fatter stemmed, pipes. I know some guys really dig bamboo, I'm just not one of them.

Execution and final product, though, spot-on. The grain on the briar has really been worked with nicely!!! Looks like a brilliant smoker. 8)

That is beautiful! I'm amazed at the talent you pipe makers on this forum have.

Long shanked bamboo pipes are beloved, but like as a few others have commented, they are also not my cup of tea.
Your short shank pipe however is very appealing to me, well done! The bowl is also a great shape.
I haven't been paying attention, how many pipes have you made or how long have you been making pipes?

Looking down into that bore...I bet it will be a smoking fool! I think I'd like it even if it weren't bamboo.
My bamboos all color up, some take longer than others. They also accumulate little hairline cracks around the bamboo. Not a structural issue, just aging, I think. That one will make someone a fine smoker.

Wow that pipe is beautiful! I want to get into pipe making and one day soon as I cough up some money for the initial investment of tools and what not I will ha.