My son and our family had a tough week

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Last week my son's good friend of 12 years lost his battle with cancer. I know he's in a better place now, but battled hard for the last 3 years. Also last week while that all happened, my son's other best friend's daughter, who is 17 went to help a friend with her car and got shot! Fortunately, she is alive, but the bullet shattered her elbow. After surgery, two plates and some screws, we all just wait to see if she can regain the use of the arm. She was just in the wrong part of town at the wrong time. What's happening to people today? The good try to help, while the bad are just freekin bad. After several 400 mile round trips I am finally calmed down enough to relax a bit. My son is doing better, but it's still a load on his mind.

One of the things about bad times is that they make the good times all the sweeter. My wife and I regularly step back and focus on how great things are at that point in time. It’s all too easy to just let good times roll on by, unrecognized and under appreciated. I know a lot of the population around here is getting on in years, a time when ‘things’ start to happen physically. We expect that. But at least one of the things you described is so very ‘out of the blue’ - incredible. Sure hope things go well for her.

Hope things settle down for you guys. The young lady will definitely be in my prayers. I know what its like to lose the use of an arm.

Best wishes
Jim

Yes, things are starting to settle back down a bit. My wife came home today as she was with them all this past week. She said the "celebration of life" was a drunk fest. I don't understand it. Why "celebrate" someone's life when they died? Drinking and partying just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, the families involved are getting by the best they can. The teenager that was shot had to go back to the hospital for additional surgery on her elbow. Fortunately, she has total use of her hand. Things are getting better.

Glad to hear she is doing well (all things considered) and had use of her hand. Ever since I can remember we have always that kind of "party" for funerals, i suppose it is just a way to cope.

Use of the hand is great news! Only hope she regains use of her elbow. On the funeral yeah I'm pretty sure its a coping mechanism. I don't understand it and won't participate in that. I don't understand the appeal of getting plastered. A drink sure 2 maybe 3 hell no.

Jim

Crikey, that does sound tough but good to hear things are looking a little brighter. Reflective thoughts for your loss and positive energy for a speedy recovery.