My Tobacco Cutter Collection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I'm not good at centering and I have a feww more to add... I'll try posting and editting over the next few minutes...

These were all collected locally... They make for good display platforms...

Those are cool! I once considered collecting them but I just don't have the space.

Some folks calls them tobacco cutters, but I calls em slingblades, uyup. :twisted:
Really nice collection.
shootist51

shootist51":bp3i9ozn said:
Some folks calls them tobacco cutters, but I calls em slingblades, uyup. :twisted:
Really nice collection.
shootist51
aarrright den.

EJinVA":51dizljq said:
shootist51":51dizljq said:
Really nice collection.
shootist51
aarrright den.
Thems is jus rite fur makin frenchfried taters uhm-hum

That is just amazing,,,great history there,,,collected locally? Are you in a tobacco region?,,,,

mark":3x1zoycn said:
...Are you in a tobacco region?,,,,
I'm presently sitting in the last remaing tobacco area of Canukville... my man cave... :lol: :lol: ... Gonna hire Winslow for secuity :shock:

These cutters are old but from the time period when Tobacco was an acceptable part of everyday life.... obviously in the era of cutting plug...

I have never seen a "tobacco cutter," let alone a slingblade -- shows ya how much I know.

Question: about what era are we talking here?

At any rate, those are really cool and thanks for posting them!

Trout Bum":rgbk1e42 said:
I have never seen a "tobacco cutter," let alone a slingblade -- shows ya how much I know.

Question: about what era are we talking here?

At any rate, those are really cool and thanks for posting them!
Trout Bum,

I haven't done a lot of research... accept casually... a lot of cutters were provided by the tobacco companies (if not all)... there are lots of "spring action ones"... I like the wood block slicer... likely from the old fashion country style store or general store and not the tobacconist.

It's not unusually to find some the "spring action" ones from the later part of 1800's.

Texas Outlaw":r4mqp00g said:
I don't know what those are, but I want one...
:scratch:
Oh no you don't... have you heard of circumcism :lol: :lol:

Slow Puffs":0i65zm5p said:
Texas Outlaw":0i65zm5p said:
I don't know what those are, but I want one...
:scratch:
Oh no you don't... have you heard of circumcism :lol: :lol:
no. care to explain?

I gotta admit, this is the longest I've posted on a pipe forum without getting called stupid or fat.

Something is wrong with the world when the unemployed make fun of those with degrees and jobs.....

Wait Obama got elected?? Oh I get it....

Slow Puffs":a445snf0 said:
Oh no you don't... have you heard of circumcism
So a man walks into his regular bar with a big box of cigars. "Have a cigar, friends! My wife has just delivered a beautiful, healthy baby boy, 8 lbs, 6 oz."

Two weeks later, he returns to the pub. A buddy asks him, "Hey, how's your new son doing?"
"Oh, he's doing just fine. He's got a good appetite, and now he weighs almost 7 lbs."
"7 lbs? Didn't you say back then he was more than 8?"
"Well... we had him circumcised."

This must be the "mother" load of all tobacco cutters. The corona bottle is not propping up the handle.

]</a>
It pretty well convinces me that these are "hand-made". The blade on this one is the size of butcher's knife if not bigger. The table it is attached to is from a larger piece of furniture. (I was waiting to pick up my grandson from school the other day and dropped into the Antique Mall and quickly spotted this. I couldn't resist.<a href="https://servimg.com/view/11820571/64" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
t4-pip10.jpg
[/url]

Hello all,
Very nice peice of history there. Thanks for sharing.
Best Regards
Richard