My wife talked me into selling a knife to one of her friends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
This kinda pisses me off, cause I know I won't see a dime of the cash!

I'm letting a friend my wife works with choose between the following, to purchase as a gift for her father on Sunday:

1) a Nordic knife I made (has a Lauri PTX blade with differential tempering and the handle is a mix of nickel silver, Macassar Ebony, Black Micarta, a Reindeer Antler roll and a butt of Grecian Plateaux Briar)...and...
2) a Bark River Ltd. Ed. Scout with presentation grade Desert Ironwood scales (nicknamed "Junior")...
3) a Bark River Ltd. Ed. Montana Guide (A2 steel) with 3 mosaic pins (nicknamed "the hunk")...
4) a Blackjack Ltd. Ed. Trail Guide in A2 with Walnut Dymondwood handle (nicknamed "the Blackjack ltd. Ed. Trailg....OK - so that one doesn't have a nickname! lol).

I priced the Nordic I made the highest cause I hope she doesn't pick that one. And I also hope she doesn't pick the little BR Scout...those scales are something else! The Montana Guide I can live without as the scales are just black linen Micarta...and although I really like the bladeform on the Blackjack (and that A2...WOW!)...I can live without that one as I never use it. But I hit 'em all between $150 and $200.

Well...there are always other knives.

:(

Blackhorse":echkw94b said:
This kinda pisses me off, cause I know I won't see a dime of the cash!

I'm letting a friend my wife works with choose between the following, to purchase as a gift for her father on Sunday:

1) a Nordic knife I made (has a Lauri PTX blade with differential tempering and the handle is a mix of nickel silver, Macassar Ebony, Black Micarta, a Reindeer Antler roll and a butt of Grecian Plateaux Briar)...and...
2) a Bark River Ltd. Ed. Scout with presentation grade Desert Ironwood scales (nicknamed "Junior")...
3) a Bark River Ltd. Ed. Montana Guide (A2 steel) with 3 mosaic pins (nicknamed "the hunk")...
4) a Blackjack Ltd. Ed. Trail Guide in A2 with Walnut Dymondwood handle (nicknamed "the Blackjack ltd. Ed. Trailg....OK - so that one doesn't have a nickname! lol).

I priced the Nordic I made the highest cause I hope she doesn't pick that one. And I also hope she doesn't pick the little BR Scout...those scales are something else! The Montana Guide I can live without as the scales are just black linen Micarta...and although I really like the bladeform on the Blackjack (and that A2...WOW!)...I can live without that one as I never use it. But I hit 'em all between $150 and $200.

Well...there are always other knives.

:(
I think you set the prices too low, especially for the Nordic you made. ;) My strategy with things I don't want to part with is to set a price that's so high, if it's met, I can get over the parting. Got pictures? That and the Scout sound like real beauties!

GLP...sure, I had the Nordic and Scout higher, but SWMBO said her friend couldn't afford that much. Excellent! Then I glanced at her from the corner of my eye and knew, in that moment, I would drop the price. Old friend...many favors...strong history. I'll bet you've sold pipes you didn't want to for similar reasons. We all have. It's one way we share our good fortune with others that maybe don't have so much.

Photos? Oddly enough, while looking for some to use as examples online I found a post on Knife Forums from '05 or something talking about the production schedule for the Scout. I scrolled down the page and found the knjfe that was right there in front of me on the table. $199 in 2005. That should make it about $300 today. It is to weep. lol

I'll post some photos in a bit.

Oops...no can do photos tonight...wifey is using the laptop. Tomorrow a.m. left coast time.

Okay...the photos.

This is the Ltd. Ed. Scout, the pic taken from the official Bark River site...in the archives. It's one of the only 'piness' pieces if not THE only one in this line...so as not to mar the ironwood.

DIBp.jpg

And here's the Nordic. Kind of busy...but fun. BTW: the pipe was a Tinsky kit thing. It's my 'go-to' for the stinkiest of Brit blends, like Canon, etc.

Two shots...one under the clouds...the other when the sun peaked out for a sec.

PipeandKnifeProjects029-1.jpg

PipeandKnifeProjects022-1.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos. Lovely work on that pukka, and the iron wood on the scout is amazing. Ahhh. Knives. Kind of like pipes. Once you have the right selection, you don't NEED more, but you want them anyway. ;)

Some sweet work BH!
Love that scout! Price those things outta sight, they are worth every penny you ask.
Yes, it's a labor of love, that makes it hard to ask what they are worth. At some point you have to make it worth while fiscally, ask Greg! 8)

So the dad is going to use the knife in Alaska for Moose and Bear hunts! With a little 'input' from me (since I lived up there for 8 years) she picked the Blackjack Trail Guide. She should have chosen the Montana Guide with the Linen Micarta scales and the cryo treated A2...but the Blackjack is a good knife - and it was 'prettier'. :roll:

At least both have a convex grind that started out the right way in the factory! I just hope he gets some 'Rust Free' or keeps a good coat of oil on the blade. If he does he'll be well served.

(Anyway...whew!)

He needs one of these to go with the knife in alaska. 45-70. Theres things in the woods higher up on the food chain than us.

IMG267.jpg