New 2017 Lamy Safari Ltd Ed is in.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
The color this year is a dark teal called "Petrol" and to me it looks great. Black clip and nib. Pen is $29.50 plus a couple bucks to ship.

The pens are now in at Goulet and Vanness...both stellar vendors.

The ink is not in the USA yet, but you can order the ink from Appleboom in the Netherlands for the same or less than it would cost you here. Order cartridges only from Appleboom as they are cheap and shipping is really low. If you order 10 boxes of five it's $1.50 per box. I ordered 5 boxes (25 cartridges) for $1.59 each.

Shipping by international envelope (an option since the cartridges are so small) was about $5.

I'm waiting for bottled ink to come to the USA so shipping isn't so much.

How much is the difference? Get this...five boxes of 5 cartridges from a USA vendor shipped to me is $27.00. TEN boxes of 5 cartridges from Appleboom in the Netherlands shipped to me is a skosh under $20.00. So via USA vendors it's seven bucks more for half as many!!! Crazy mon...ees jus crazy!

Here's a link to Appleboom...

https://appelboom.com/lamy-petrol-ink-ink-cartridges?search=Lamy%20Petrol%20ink&description=true

The photos:

:drool: :drool:

Gotta get one.

Question: Will the ink look like that when used (the metallicy sheen)?

FH - sheen like that is typically gotten only on very non-absorbant paper (like Tomoe River) and where ink has been blobbed down heavily. I would not expect the sheen effect with a medium or finer nib on regular paper.

PS: Just got a note from the Dutch vendor...My first order of 5 went through. I then placed a second order for 10 and they didn't have enough stock to fill it completely. They said new stock is due in a week...but ya never really know.

If you're just looking for inks that have a significant sheen...go to uTube and do a search on "inks that sheen" etc. There are lots out there. And all of them produce the effect just with a heavy pooling of ink...sometimes a broad or stub/italic nib will do it.

Blackhorse":anzi8w7u said:
FH - sheen like that is typically gotten only on very non-absorbant paper (like Tomoe River) and where ink has been blobbed down heavily. I would not expect the sheen effect with a medium or finer nib on regular paper.

PS: Just got a note from the Dutch vendor...My first order of 5 went through. I then placed a second order for 10 and they didn't have enough stock to fill it completely. They said new stock is due in a week...but ya never really know.

If you're just looking for inks that have a significant sheen...go to uTube and do a search on "inks that sheen" etc. There are lots out there. And all of them produce the effect just with a heavy pooling of ink...sometimes a broad or stub/italic nib will do it.
Thanks. That makes sense about nib size effecting the look. I use fine to extra fine (depending on if it is European or Japanese) so it wouldn't show with my uses.

You never know til you try, but I would tend to agree with you. Of course it might depend on how juicy your fine nib was. A very wet fine nib, on the right paper, might sheen. I wouldn't bet much on it though. Others might know more.

I'm not so bent on an ink sheening. It's cool, but too iffy to chase. What I want is an ink that shades well. In getting nice shading I think you still want a medium or more. Flex nibs are great for this. It's also why I like stubs...the writing ease of a normal nib due to the rounded shoulders, but the variable line width.

Photos, etc. below:

First...shading. Next...Sheen.

I have never seen sheening inks before the one you posted awhile ago that was another lamy ink of the year. I think it was purple. The look just blew me away. I do love the shading that happens with alot of inks I have.

It is a fun hobby!

Yes, the Dark Lilac (unobtanium) Ink. That was 2016 Ltd Ed. No longer made. Available in a VERY few outlets. (There's this little pen shop in Cardiff...)

But aside from sheen there are now inks that contain nano flecks of metal that give a good result when used properly.

Diamine Shimmertastic and J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary are two collections that are, to say the least, spectacular.

I've been trying to steer clear of oogling the Petrol, but man...that color is gorgeous...

Don't forget to use the coupon code "friend" on Appelboom for a 10% discount!

Doh! Check out the discount codes on the right side of the page here for a few others. All 10% off:

http://www.pencilcaseblog.com/

I've personally used Appelboom and La Couronne du Comte and had great service from both.

Just ordered a petrol with a fine nib. Was able to get it past the missus as a Christmas present. Now I just have to wait until then to open it. :cry: :cry: