New Find ID Help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Webster

Reaction score
I came across a new pipe this weekend and hoped for
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0959.jpg
ID help. The pipe has a sterling silver band stamped C.J.S. and the word Sterling. There are no other identifiers on the case or the pipe. I assume those are someone's initials. I don't believe it is anything special; I'm just curious. Thanks

I decided to use Chart Gpt to see if AI could find anything. I found a reference to the C.J.S. on the Sterling Silver Band. A name came back - Charles James Studdert. Here is what came back -

"Charles James Studdert pipes, often referred to as "Studdert pipes," are high-quality smoking pipes known for their craftsmanship and design. They are named after Charles James Studdert, a skilled English pipe maker who began crafting pipes in the late 19th century. Studdert pipes are highly regarded among pipe enthusiasts for their exceptional smoking qualities and elegant aesthetics. They are typically handmade from briarwood, which is prized for its heat resistance and ability to enhance tobacco flavor.

I can find no other reference to "Studdert Pipes." So, I assume the AI program made this up. Has anyone else ever heard of these pipes?

I decided to use Chart Gpt to see if AI could find anything. I found a reference to the C.J.S. on the Sterling Silver Band. A name came back - Charles James Studdert. Here is what came back -

"Charles James Studdert pipes, often referred to as "Studdert pipes," are high-quality smoking pipes known for their craftsmanship and design. They are named after Charles James Studdert, a skilled English pipe maker who began crafting pipes in the late 19th century. Studdert pipes are highly regarded among pipe enthusiasts for their exceptional smoking qualities and elegant aesthetics. They are typically handmade from briarwood, which is prized for its heat resistance and ability to enhance tobacco flavor.

I can find no other reference to "Studdert Pipes." So, I assume the AI program made this up. Has anyone else ever heard of these pipes?
Chat GPT is famous for telling people what they want to hear. Follow up questions generally wind up deflating the balloon of patched together fiction, especially if you start asking for the sources of the information.

Great find! Be very careful with what appears to be an amber stem: I had a pipe of my father's that had an amber stem; one day I went to take it from the rack and it literally disintegrated in my hands. No advice on how to prevent this; just urging caution.