New Guy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Thomas

Reaction score
Hey mates,

I've had a pipe for a few months now. I read a post also from a new member--I think his name was Blue Carpet or something of the sort--who also had a new pipe from the Lucienne brand. Several other members replied saying they had never heard of the brand, which doesn't surprise me, since it doesn't seem to be a very high quality sort of pipe. Unfortunately, I'm unable to post external links, so I am forced to force you all to plug the following into google images:

Lucienne® Vintage Style Wooden Tobacco Pipe (TP-15)

The first one is the exact same as mine, so what do you all think of my first pipe? I've been smoking Captain Black from the first day and taking good care of my baby. All comments, recommendations and questions are welcome!

Also, is it recommended to remove the "stinger", as Blue Carpet called it, from the stem? As of yet I have not, and I'd much appreciate the advice from experienced pipe smokers.

Sir Thomas

My theory on stingers is that if they are removable I remove them, if not I leave them be. I do have one Kaywoodie that had the stinger hack-sawed off by a previous owner. It smokes just fine, but I wouldn't have gone to the trouble myself. The reason I remove the stinger is so that I can pass a pipe cleaner straight through - yours appears to be a churchwarden so that might not be as big a deal for you. I have never smoke a churchwarden myself.

Also, CBW is still one of my favorite smokes, but this site will open up a whole new world of tobacco to you.

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I'll probably wait until another person posts more familiar with churchwardens before I take action though. A friend of mine has the same exact pipe and his stinger has been removed. Apparently, he has no issues with it.