New tamper design, feedback apreciated

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3779

Reaction score
I am working on some new ideas with tampers, which may eventually find there way into other things as well. I have some other tamper concepts to try soon too, but have to source the materials first. Here is my latest, Canary wood, with brass foot and topper, with contrasting center accent. I will also probably be using similar ideas to accent pipe shanks and more soon enough. Comments and feedback appreciated. Thanks Gonzo

dsc_0715.jpg
" />

That looks pretty cool Gonzo. Maybe take a shot with a coin next to it for size reference?

The missus likes it too! She didn't know what it was, but she liked it! :roll:

RobJ":nusrql16 said:
That looks pretty cool Gonzo. Maybe take a shot with a coin next to it for size reference?
It is 3 3/8 inches tall and just under 5/8 at the widest point near the black trim rings.

Thanks to both of you! Always good to hear of approval from the Ladies out there!! Please tell the her I said Thank you as well.

You asked for opinions, mine is just that and is not to be taken as anything else.
It looks a bit clunky to me and maybe a little bit too busy. Simpler with smoother lines that makes it flow in design might be better and the lamp finial just looks out of place to me, maybe machine one without the knurled edge so it won't collect ash. Something a little more delicate in design I think would improve it. Now, that's just my Unbiased opinion and is not to be misconstrued as anything else, just being honest. ;)

Cartaphilus, I appreciate your straight forward approach. I was prepared for it not to appeal to everyone. I have made others you would probably find more to your liking, but I always have to try new things. :)

I don't own a "tamper" beyond a Czech tool and a .300 H&H casing.

That said - I like them, and have considered them several times.  I like the craftsmanship on yours, but prefer longer/thinner proportions, personally.  When I buy one - I'll also be looking for an integrated pick of some kind.  If I have to carry a second thing to flick out the dottle, I'll just take the Czech tool.

I am actually working on incorporating a pick on some these. I haven't found just the right thing yet to accommodate that option though. Soon...and thank you

Great looking tamper.

I am with DireWolf. A pick is a must. The spoon's good for snuff. :p ;)

Thank you sir, I know how I would like to incorporate the pick already. Am just searching out exactly what I want make it from. I don't mind more than 1 tool when smoking at home, but agree that when out an about, an all in 1 is preferred.

DrumsAndBeer":0k347l5z said:
Great looking tamper.

I am with DireWolf. A pick is a must. The spoon's good for snuff. :p ;)
...and pipe mud.

:D

I like your style Gonzo! You have a great eye for color combinations.

If you can't throw in some pipe mud with a tamper purchase, how about a cigar and we can just convert them to pipe mud ourselves, so you aren't out the extra labor? :lol:

Dutch":o0iw02kt said:

If you can't throw in some pipe mud with a tamper purchase, how about a cigar and we can just convert them to pipe mud ourselves, so you aren't out the extra labor? :lol:
Thank you Dutch. There are many vendors already distributing pipe mud conversion kits. Not a market I will be competing in.

Gonzo":5efsv0vv said:
Dutch":5efsv0vv said:

Thank you Dutch. There are many vendors already distributing pipe mud conversion kits. Not a market I will be competing in.
Yeah, it would be hard to "compete" nowdays on those conversion kits. :lol:

Dutch":6ewzsx5g said:

Nice try Dutch!

:lol!: