Nimrod Sportsman or a zippo?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I love my Old Boy lighter, but sometimes it is too windy outside to use it. I am needing something I can use in wind and I was looking at the Nimrod Sportsman as well as the zippo with a pipe insert. What say you that has used both. How do they compare?

I have corona old boy zippo pipe lighters and a nimrod commander. My choice between the zippo and nimrod commander would be the commander. the pros for the nimrod vs zippo, no vapor lock ever , fuel lasts at least 50% longer than the zippo due to the tongue and groove connection between the insert and body and the cap is part of the insert not the body. the pros for the zippo are lifetime warrantee.

If you decide on the nimrod commander you can get one on the bay for $10.00 to $20.00. Make sure that it is in good shape due to the fact that the cap is connected to the insert and would be very difficult to repair (stay away from loose caps). Hpoe this helps MIKE

Whatever the merits of other brands of lighters, I prefer the Zippo hands down because of the cool noise it makes when you snap it shut. Other considerations seem frivolous.

I have the sportsman. I would stay away from them. They don't seem to be very windproof (IMHO) and they run out of fuel quickly. They are a cool lighter for a collection though. I also have the nimrod commander I second the suggestion for the commander. A much better lighter than zippo. But, do stay away from loose caps. I found that out the hard way :/

get a pac of Bic's..

trying to light a pipe with a zippo take's more suction than I can manage.

Smoke inside :twisted: Then you don't have to use either !! :twisted: :twisted: If you insist though, a Bic actually works better than either of those !! :twisted:

The sportsman is a cool little lighter. Emphasizing little. It's fine if you smoke say one pipe a day and don't mind refueling every day. It's just not big enough for more than that. As mentioned by others the Nimrod Commander is the better choice. Nothing wrong with Zippos I have my fair share of them. I Just prefer the Commander. The fuel lasts longer than any Zippo and its got to be really windy for it not to light.

Hope this helps
Jim