Oh oh...binge buying here.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing a Old Timer Splinter Carving knife for awhile.  That and a spoon knife.

edit: knowing me I probably need a carving glove too :shock:

Wow.  That carving knife looks like the “Carving Jack” but for a hundred bucks less. They make a block strop thing...”Flexcut Slip Strop” that REALLY has worked well for me and might be good with that carver.

And I have a couple of really high end spoon carvers around here somewhere that are mint.  A Karlson...and another...one that you could do your own handle for.  I’d give you a good price (if I could find ‘em) but not cheap.

No doubt the Flexcut is a better knife. I would likely consider that option as it seems a more comfortable grip and better steel. Still up in the air with the hook knife. Never got to try and use one! I was considering a Mora since they use good steel and generally inexpensive for a first hook knife.

Nice BH. Big fan of Victorinox here. Very good quality and practical. Interesting to see them breaking away from their traditional red.

I really like the Mora laminated carving blades...all good. I buy them, pull the blades and put new handles on. I’ve not used the Mora spoon knife. I think it would be a good first step. I got the Karlson after reading something, somewhere about the bevel of the Mora being on the wrong side of the blade for optimal work. But many, many guys find it works fine...and it’s cost can’t be beat.