One of my hand made pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
So I finished this one up last month. I thought you guys might want to take a look at it.

And while your at it, there has been some debate whether to call this shape a cutty, belge, or danish. I call it a cutty even though it has no spur. Any thoughts?

4-12_1.jpg

4-12_3.jpg

4-12_8.jpg

4-12_5.jpg

That's one DAMN NICE piece of work!!! Whatever you call it, I LOVE the grain and the sterling (?) band and stem. It all blends well and WORKS as a whole which IMHO, you see less of these days! As they say, "ya done good" :p I guess I'd have to say it was more like a Cutty in shape.

Interesting. you carved this, and you have your own sterling hallmarks (on the band) or...? Is this a refurbished piece?

It looks good, however, the script signature and number scratched/scribed on the side are really large and detract from the pipe. Probably why most makers choose such small markings on the bottom of their pipes. 8) Be that thought to the original maker (if refurbished) or you (if carved yourself). 8)

I buy my bands from a pipe manufacturer. They are nickel and they have those "hallmarks" on them already, although they have nothing to do with traditional hallmarking. When I first saw them I thought they had sent me silver by mistake, but the metal didn't behave like silver.

So yeah, that puppy was a block of ugly wood when I started. Not refurbished in the least.

I've had a lot of comments about my chicken scratch on the side. I think now that I'm starting to sell quite a few and move toward a more business than hobby attitude I'll invest in a stamp. The rub is what to get. Perhaps a simple "Hand made in the USA" and a set of numbers. We'll see. Any suggestions?

Ocelot55":s8xf8s2t said:
I think now that I'm starting to sell quite a few and move toward a more business than hobby attitude I'll invest in a stamp... Any suggestions?
A very good idea.

Keep it simple and personal, and if possible, unobtrusive and classy--you obviously can churn some briar, no sense in effing it up. 8)

That is a beauty. The grain is fantastic. Nice shape, and great workmanship. Definitely a piece to be proud about. I do not mind the chicken scratch name. I see it as an evolutionary process, and count getting a carvers, nice first's a boon. I like their work when they are defining themselves, and learning new techniques.

I don't care what you call it -- an egg, a cutty, belge or even a bulldog (You never know, these days...). But I call it beautiful! That's one fine pipe!

That is a nice looking pipe. Though the hand carved name is somewhat large, the quality of the pipe is such that it all works.

If you are interested in some sort of hallmark, be it just a name or something more involved, I would be happy to trade design skills for something of equivalent value.

Either way, that is one nice pipe, like monbla said, it is nicely proportioned.

I'm not sure about the correct name for the shape but - as per the previous comments - who cares? It is a great looking pipe and that it all that matters.

You are clearly gifted at pipe making so good luck for the future.

Chris

Sir,
That is a very nice looking pipe and the band is a nice touch I give it :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Best Regards
Richard