Opening the draw on a full bent stem?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Savinelli 614 (this one) which is a fully bent pipe.The problem is the draw is rather restricted. Its pretty cleary the fault of the stem. I'm not much of a craftsman, but it looks to me like drilling out a stem with as severe a bend as this wouldn't really be possible, would it? Is there anything I can do? Smoking it is becoming a bit of a chore.

...granted these aren't carburetor jets bade of brass, but... wound guitar or bass string? *shrug*

I'd hire it out. That's the redneck in me trying to think again.

The only thing you would have to do would be to heat the stem an bend it straight. Drill it, then heat again and bend back. There's a thread somewhere on here about heating a stem in the oven to adjust the bend but I can never seem to find anything when I need to

A link to properly heating and working with stems via oven was hard to find for me, too, if someone could cross-link that here, I'd appreciate it, too. :D

I've got the same pipe (614), and the air flow is nice. Thus, your pipe's stem could be an aberration and perhaps S. would offer to replace the stem. I've heard great things about their customer service.

I also have a 3/4 bent pipe (a Wellington) with a restricted air flow. I would welcome an inexpensive solution. There must be some industrial product or tool that is made for opening up the diameter of a small, curved tunnel.

forsooth":5gts7b5f said:
There must be some industrial product or tool that is made for opening up the diameter of a small, curved tunnel.
Man, is that ever a setup for a joke I'd have to ban myself for making.

Doc Manhattan":bu5iazp2 said:
forsooth":bu5iazp2 said:
There must be some industrial product or tool that is made for opening up the diameter of a small, curved tunnel.
Man, is that ever a setup for a joke I'd have to ban myself for making.
However, for someone with the name of Doc, surely we can allow some "wiggle room."

Is nothing sacred? :evil:

Note to self: Be very careful when discussing pipe stems. :D

Sorry to see this so late but if you haven't solved the problem already and want to bend the stem just don't dunk it in boiling water. Oxidizdes instantly. Hot air works best.

The best way I found to bend a stem is to use a heat gun which will also make it streaght once you get the desired bend simply run it under some cold water. Also be crefull on the bit you use they can get hot and break off in your stem and then you will really have to send it off for a new one.
Best Regards
Richard

Bent stems are heated and straightened, drilled/repaired, then heated and bent back which in and of itself takes some practice and a modicum of skill. If the overall airway diameter is on the small side it can be redrilled with a tapered drill bit. More often than not, though, the restriction is in the bit end. To do it right, you need specialty tools and have a bit of skill. The idea is to open the airway horizontally where it decreases vertically. The overall process is a bit more complicated than the average Do-it-yourselfer would want to attempt due to the potential for disasterous error. I would send it off to a professional for this repair. Walker's does great work.

In my experience,the safest and simplest way to heat a stem for get it straight or bend is on the hot sand box in optical shops.That's where optical frames are heated for adjustment.

I don't know anything about Walkers work, but Wayne is right. Send it in. This isn't really a DIY kinda fix, not unless you feel like replacing the whole stem.