Penderyn - Scotch made in Wales

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warwick

Reaction score
I bought it purely on a whim and for the novelty...I mean, who ever heard of something as absurd as scotch being made in Wales!

But I was very impressed with Penderyn Madeira Single Malt. It is aged in bourbon casks and then finished in Madeira casks. Unusual, indeed.

The color is very light, and I expected perhaps something like a Speyside but with an overbearing sweetness from the Madeira finish. Upon tasting, though, I was quite surprised and delighted to find it was instead very delicate and refined. Slightly astringent, with hints of green apple, leather, toffee, vanilla. They say it also has flavors of tropical fruits but I can't really find that. It also doesn't have the floral notes that Speysides can have (and which I dislike anyway).

I usually prefer Islay scotches, especially Lagavulin, as well as Talisker, so this is quite a departure from my norm. But I could see this becoming a staple alongside those other two.

Has anyone ever tried any of Penderyn's scotches? I'm looking forward to trying their Peated version, if I can find it.

Being of Welsh decent this sparks my interest, I'll look for it on my next trip to the ABC.
You may be in error calling it Scotch since it's not from Scotland, the web site you linked calls it Welsh Whisky- no mention of Scotch.

Penderyn is a wonderful Welsh whisky, not scotch. I, too, found the stuff to have a delightful character, and can hold its own in any whisky competition. Yes, it's very different from the Islays, but so are Campbeltowns.

Every region's whisky is different, which is what makes them so damn much fun. And, just to muddy things up a bit, there's now an English whisky as well, brought to you by the English Whisky Co., a division of St. George Distillery. I haven't tried it yet, but their concepts seem interesting.

So, yes. someone has tried, and liked Penderyn. I don't know if it's one I'll always have on hand, but I'll certainly enjoy it while it's here. And, I'm also an Islay fan. If you haven't tried Laphroaig's quarter cask, it's worth seeking out.

Warwick":9oo48brr said:
I bought it purely on a whim and for the novelty...I mean, who ever heard of something as absurd as scotch being made in Wales!

But I was very impressed with Penderyn Madeira Single Malt. It is aged in bourbon casks and then finished in Madeira casks. Unusual, indeed.

The color is very light, and I expected perhaps something like a Speyside but with an overbearing sweetness from the Madeira finish. Upon tasting, though, I was quite surprised and delighted to find it was instead very delicate and refined. Slightly astringent, with hints of green apple, leather, toffee, vanilla. They say it also has flavors of tropical fruits but I can't really find that. It also doesn't have the floral notes that Speysides can have (and which I dislike anyway).

I usually prefer Islay scotches, especially Lagavulin, as well as Talisker, so this is quite a departure from my norm. But I could see this becoming a staple alongside those other two.

Has anyone ever tried any of Penderyn's scotches? I'm looking forward to trying their Peated version, if I can find it.

EJinVA":78r5a50j said:
You may be in error calling it Scotch since it's not from Scotland, the web site you linked calls it Welsh Whisky- no mention of Scotch.
Fair enough....on the box they do call it "Single Malt Welsh Whisky"....and on the other side of the box...in Welsh I presume...it is called "Wisgi Brag Sengl Cymrieg". I just happened to find it amidst all the scotches at the store, and so I mentally cast it into the group.

glpease":6ma926nr said:
Penderyn is a wonderful Welsh whisky, not scotch. I, too, found the stuff to have a delightful character, and can hold its own in any whisky competition. Yes, it's very different from the Islays, but so are Campbeltowns.

Every region's whisky is different, which is what makes them so damn much fun. And, just to muddy things up a bit, there's now an English whisky as well, brought to you by the English Whisky Co., a division of St. George Distillery. I haven't tried it yet, but their concepts seem interesting.

So, yes. someone has tried, and liked Penderyn. I don't know if it's one I'll always have on hand, but I'll certainly enjoy it while it's here. And, I'm also an Islay fan. If you haven't tried Laphroaig's quarter cask, it's worth seeking out.
I'm not familiar with Campbeltowns -- that will be some new territory to try out. :) And normally I'd pass over Laphroaig in favor of Lagavulin, but I'll keep any eye out for that quarter cask!

I can't find this locally; they can special order it, but too damn expensive that way.
Picked up some Irish Whisky instead (Bushmills), it was on sale and got a free T shirt :D .