pipe dreams

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
Has anyone else read (I search of pipe dreams)? I've read it and liked it, even though he centered on Danish pipes, plus his pipes are way out of my range. Still a very good read. IMO.

I have it, but haven't read it yet. Richard C. Hacker's books are also good (The Ultimate Pipe Book & Rare Smoke).

I've heard of his books. I have also heard good and not so good reviews about those books, I think more negative about him and positive about the books themselves. But can't justify the price just yet. Plus there not on kindle.

It is pretty good, but it doesn't have a lot of general pipe information. It has been a couple years since I read it, I remember it mostly being about Newcombe's personal pipe collection and him meeting pipe makers, going to shows, and amassing his 1,000 plus pipes. Of course, the book is called In Search of Pipe Dreams, so it doesn't purport to be a general knowledge book.

Even though it is all written in the first person, I enjoyed it a lot more than the two books of Hacker's that I read. See this thread for more about Hacker and a link to another thread (if it is still available).https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t1710-richard-carleton-hacker

That's what I've read in a couple of reviews of both books. The pipe dreams book was a more enjoyable read. He has another book out called In search of more pipe dreams. It's more about enjoying pipes than his other book. And it's available on kindle.

I bought my Hacker & Newcombe books used thru Amazon or Goodwill, etc. $20 or less per book
Carl Ehwas "Book of Pipes & Tobacco" is probably the best of the lot, also under $20 delivered. The Alfred Duhill book, while old is also pretty good.