Pipe Liners, down size a bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.A.

Reaction score
I found this interesting product/item Its a clay liner for briar pipes, It says good for ghost issue or to experience the true tobacco flavor, sampling tobacco. also says its easy to fit to the bowl.

http://www.pipes4mike.com/clay_pipe_inserts.html

Well I thought it would be good for those pipes where you really like the pipe but the large bowl is more than you wish to fill. looking at this item I think it would also help re-direct the draw on pipe not quite drilled right.

I also wonder if it may be good for moisture, if the clay would help wick moisture away and help dissipate it, it really has me curious.

Just a very unusual item, I like to tinker with things make adjustments, improvements, modifications. Almost the same theroy like a mini calabash chamber.

Well I thought I would share this odd item see what other thoughts it would inspire.

:scratch:

I'm no expert by any means, but for $17.00 you can get a handful of MM cobs for sampling tobaccos with and not have to figdet with an emery board to try and get a liner into your existing pipe.

I would also worry about differences in thermal expansion. What happens when the clay expands because of the heat of the burning tobacco but the briar remains cool? Sounds like a risk of cracking the bowl of your briar or having the clay get stuck.

Finally, if I needed a smaller bowl I would buy another pipe. That's an excuse for P.A.D. that might make it past the wifey/CFO.:D

Josjor":xqyzexdh said:
I'm no expert by any means, but for $17.00 you can get a handful of MM cobs for sampling tobaccos with and not have to figdet with an emery board to try and get a liner into your existing pipe.

I would also worry about differences in thermal expansion. What happens when the clay expands because of the heat of the burning tobacco but the briar remains cool? Sounds like a risk of cracking the bowl of your briar or having the clay get stuck.

Finally, if I needed a smaller bowl I would buy another pipe. That's an excuse for P.A.D. that might make it past the wifey/CFO.:D
I'm liking the way you think!

The more the idea of these inserts kicked around in my head, the more puzzled I got. I would think these could be a pain to get out, but importantly, why wouldn't they ghost as well? Granted, the first bowl in a new (or just burnt-out) clay might be 'pure', but wouldn't that be the only one? Inquiring minds (or at least mine) want to know. . . .

I think for the $, I'd rather buy the clays or MM, but am willing to be instructed if anyone has actually used and liked the inserts