pipe pouch/wrap

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitobi

Reaction score
hi guys, back from holidays at the wonderful island of Kos in Greece, a truly magical place on earth with wonderful people.
i have a small amount of finance from converting cash back (approx £50 ish), so was interested in either buying a pipe pouch or i could consider making one if needs be.

been looking alot, disliking the pouches that look like purses, but adore the rustic look of sorringowl signature and similar etc.. but alas these are well above my threshold.

can anyone recommend a place to search for ideas/inspiration of either pre-made or inspirationfor a DIY project, i played with leather work approx 2 decades ago when i worked as a semi pro medieval swordfighter for a number of years and made alot of my own kit, although i have none of the equipment left now its not too expensive to re-acquire if i need to

thankyou all in advance

andy

kitobi":uktqnfeh said:
i played with leather work approx 2 decades ago when i worked as a semi pro medieval swordfighter for a number of years and made alot of my own kit...
I am the guy who uses a ziplock freezer bag, so I don't have much to contribute with the pipe pouch. I am in awe of the semi-pro medieval swordfighter though...

I'm sure there is someone here that could craft you a nice pouch............

Because most available pouches do look like pocket books and you are apparently a man with some skills it would seem to me that you would be better satisfied if you would design and craft your own pouch from leather. It's what I would do if I had the necessary skills. :)

AJ

thanks for the replies guys, one day ill see if i can dig out a pic, i have one around somewhere of me cuddling my newborn daughter whilst wearing full armour just before a fight, shes 19 tho now :affraid:

been toying with making one to be very honest AJ, i have the " perfect" one in my head its just trying to make that reality, i expect ill make one first in fabric which will also give me the cutting patterns for leather afterwards when mistakes are not easy to alter

got 2 weeks leave due, best start sourcing some leather :)

cheers all

andy

kitobi":qbiv2l1n said:
thanks for the replies guys, one day ill see if i can dig out a pic, i have one around somewhere of me cuddling my newborn daughter whilst wearing full armour just before a fight, shes 19 tho now :affraid:

been toying with making one to be very honest AJ, i have the " perfect" one in my head its just trying to make that reality, i expect ill make one first in fabric which will also give me the cutting patterns for leather afterwards when mistakes are not easy to alter

cheers all

andy
Andy, when you get it made please post some pictures. I'm sure everyone here would be interested in seeing it. You may even get some requests for you to make some and sell them. It would be a good way to put some extra change in your pocket. :)

AJ

kitobi":6tlyvscn said:

cheers all

andy
Andy, when you get it made please post some pictures. I'm sure everyone here would be interested in seeing it. You may even get some requests for you to make some and sell them. It would be a good way to put some extra change in your pocket. :)

AJ

hi guys, well that day at work felt like it would never end.

i certainly will put some pics up AJ,the amount of wealth of knowldege on here is phenominal and im sure ppl will have hints/tips of how things should be done.

thankyou for the offer wizard, i am not intending to use fur currrently but if that changes ill give you a shout :)

the first items have been dispatched to me today for the snap and set and the brass rivets both of which i havent used for 30 years lol.

love having a project in the making or a "rabbit" as we used to call em in work...

andy

I've used a leather roll-up for almost 40 years now and they don't look like a purse and fit in a hip pocket securely and depending on how you smoke, will keep tobacco just fine for several days.

hi monbla

sorry for the delay in replying, work is being a real pain atm and getting in the way of free time.

i know the pouches similar to yours are dependable and will last a while, but my wife has several clutch bags and i have a toiletries bag that i take on business trips that are almost identical.

so this shape for now im looking to move away from and go for something a bit more earthy/rugged

ps a "natural" look is also going to be my stand in excuse if the wrap i make is a bit dog eared lol.

today i made my leather sewing pony out of some trash wood i had laying about, only thing i need to buy is some steel bolts and wingnuts, so far happy days.

andy

Personally I think what Monbla has pictures is extremely manly and possibly the most rugged of pipe/tobacco pouches.
Before I retired I carried a cloth version that was lined with some type of rubbery material. It survived well over a decade in a tractor trailer.

But, if you have an itch you need to scratch it. I've procured items that weren't exactly what I wanted only to end up looking for what I originally wanted anyway. It cost a lot more money to do it that way. Lol

PS: I'm going to set your avatar picture to a knight if you don't set one yourself. Lol.

hi Puros

yup I agree, I don't mind the bag shape, and in fact one day ill probably get one, but for now as you state I got to scratch that itch, and TBH I'm having too much fun right now planning how to make it and what materials ill use.

all of my tools have arrived and I have made my stitching pony, its more like a medieval torture device than the sleek and slender ones I have seen online but its not going to wear out that's for sure !!

BTW I found a knight avatar lol, and I think I remember seeing some old photos in the loft, I need to go up there in a few days time and I will have a rummage around and see if I can find anything from when I was young and a darn sight fitter than now

cheers

Andy

kitobi":97exs84b said:
hi monbla

sorry for the delay in replying, work is being a real pain atm and getting in the way of free time.

i know the pouches similar to yours are dependable and will last a while, but my wife has several clutch bags and i have a toiletries bag that i take on business trips that are almost identical.

so this shape for now im looking to move away from and go for something a bit more earthy/rugged

ps a "natural" look is also going to be my stand in excuse if the wrap i make is a bit dog eared lol.

today i made my leather sewing pony out of some trash wood i had laying about, only thing i need to buy is some steel bolts and wingnuts, so far happy days.

andy
A few years ago I went for something "more earthy/tugged" with one made by a leather worker out of some nice latigo leather with a wrap around strap to keep it closed. Was a nice piece of leather work but did not fit in either my pants or jacket pockets as the wrap/tie kept getting caught. Stopped using it and went back to my lambskin roll-ups. I keep the earthy/rugged to my sandblasted pipes !! :twisted: :twisted:

I've been using a handcrafted leather pipe roll that I bought shortly after I started smoking a pipe -- It's made from thick but soft and flexible oil tanned leather, heavy duty waxed thread hand-sewn seams, and corners reinforced with copper rivets. Folds up nice compact and secures closed with leather straps. It's pretty much perfect for me, as I can hold everything I need to carry, and it's not so large as to encourage carrying extraneous items. I always get compliments when I'm at the local smoking lounge. Here's a picture:

The guy lives in Portland, OR and makes several different versions with more features but they can be pricey... I didnt have the necessary tooling to make my own and wanted to get something to protect my pipes when out and about so I elected to just purchase this one. It's well made and I think it will last for many years. I don't know the seller, but since I'm happy with the product and feel he provides quality craftsmanship I can recommend him CharredEmbers&Oak on Etsy.com.