Pipe Rack Design,

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.A.

Reaction score
Ok we all seen lots different pipes racks, and ways the pipes rest in them, My question is about the one where the bowl rest in a rounded egg shaped scooped from the wood, like the one in this link

http://www.bigashtray.com/content/00/01/49/82/52/userimages/Smoking%20pipe%20stand%2009/Humidor-and-pipe-holder.jpg

I would like to try to build a little rack but no idea which tool I need to duplicate this scoop out, I,m not trying to build this exact item but I would like the one I want to build to have the scoops to sit the pipes in

any ideas?

Glad you asked that as I was wondering how they did the depression areas too. :scratch:

I would assume a large properly shaped router bit, moved back and forth an inch or two.

I'm no wood worker, but I some how I got captured by this problem. The scoops in my favorite pipe rack are 1-1/2 x 1-7/8 inches, spaced 2" apart center to center, and look like they were made with a 1-1/2" round nose router bit. Imagine a jig box and router base plate like the ones shown here. It should be possible to fasten the jig and work piece securely to a work table. Probably the length of the pegs would be the best place to add some adjustability for cut depth.

Here's the bit:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_core.html

Here's the router base plate. The pegs slide in the jig on parallel tracks. The base plate is rectangular so it will stay aligned in the jig, allowing the operator to concentrate just on downward pressure during the cut.

router_baseplate.jpg

Pieces like this form opposite sides of the jig box, the tracks facing each other. The base board of the pipe rack (the work) slides through the bottom of the jig to make the different scoops.

jig_track.jpg

Here's a top and end view of the assembled jig box with the work piece in it.

jig_box.jpg

sstodvictory":02j8zuu2 said:
I'm no wood worker, but I some how I got captured by this problem.
On second thought...as NeroWolfe suggested, this should only take a drill press and some blocks to guide the work. I invented a more complex solution! Like I said, I'm no wood worker.

:scratch:

Steve

[/quote] On second thought...as NeroWolfe suggested, this should only take a drill press and some blocks to guide the work. [/quote]

If using a router bit there might be a problem with spindle speed on a drill press being too slow as routers crank up some pretty good rpm.

I was thinking about making a small ash tray and pipe rest. In my mind, I saw me doing this with a dremel. With just the dremel I think it would be easy to do one, but to do more than one and get them all uniform is another task. I say practice on some pine first, until you get it right, even using some good chisels, files, and sanding would work nicely. Something about building something like this with out powertools really entices me.

The racks that I have made I have used a "dish" router bit (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1520) and a Incra Jig on my router table to cut the depression.