Pipe Tobacco Cigarettes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nparad

Reaction score
I'm sure a majority of you know about the popularity of Black & Mild',s a so-called "Pipe Tobacco Cigarette/Cigar" (seen it both way's i'm fairly sure). I was wondering, therefore, if anyone has tried and had success with rolling up a favorite blend, probably aromatic, for a quick smoke when out and about and you don't want to bring out your pipe, or risk undue harm to it whilst among the common rabble (barbarians that they are).

I personally would have tried it myself ages ago, if it weren't for the lack of rolling machine, and god-awful hand-rolling skills as well. I feel like a good cherry aromatic in a cherry-flavored paper (or unflavored, or whatever flavor suits you) might make for a nice smoke on the way to the supermarket, or a way to keep yourself from ramming the car in front of you while in a traffic jam.

Of course, you'd not be inhaling (unless that's your style anyways), but smoking for the normal reasons, but in a quick and disposable fashion, instead of the lengthy pipe ritual while driving/out and about.

I worked on a ranch out west years ago. Everybody rolled their own, and we didn't use a rolling machine, just fingers and paper. The tobacco of choice was Prince Albert. You need a certain type of cut to make a decent cig. Good pipe tobacco--not that PA isn't--is usually a bit too chunky.

I figured you could diy the cut with a magic bullet or something. it might not be a proper cut, but it would at least make it thinner strips a bit, right?

Nparad":i2r6zsdy said:
I figured you could diy the cut with a magic bullet or something. it might not be a proper cut, but it would at least make it thinner strips a bit, right?
You tell me. Whatever works. I would recommend a small pipe, actually. Maybe even one of those fold-up things. I knew a chauffeur who used one all the time.

From what I have seen it looks like most of the old OTCs were originally marketed as both pipe and cigarette tobacco.

Fairly recently i rolled up a few cigarettes containing a local aromatic blend (cherry/vanilla "hobbit's weed") to see how the flavor was affected, and just for convenience.

overall it was a huge success. I did notice a loss of depth of flavor usually contributed by the briar, but overall the taste was still present, and it never got too hot to handle with slow puffing.

I have rolled cigs using a few different shag cut pipe tobaccos... My favorite is Charles Fairmorn Dark Fired shag but G&H Dark Birdseye also makes a nice robust cig :)

The first Towboat I worked on (years ago) had a guy on there named Jimmy. Every trip he brought a new tin of CBW and a large stack of rolling papers. That is all he ever smoked. Smelled pretty good too!

Nparad":57560w5h said:
Did he roll the cigs straight from the tin?
Pulled a paper out of the pack, opened the lid of the tin, filled the paper with the CBW, then rolled it and licked it.

No roller, nothing fancy, looked like a joint, but definitely CBW by the smell. I tried one and it wasn't bad, but I didn't care for the element the paper added. :no:

In rural Texas 25 years ago smoking a pipe would have gotten me beat and left for dead. I always carried papers with my stuff so that I could roll if I needed to. The pipe was an old clay that I still use. I never had any problems with PA but where I was it was just as likely to be Bull Durham in my pipe or paper.

Ah the old days, yup you can keep em

Jim

Rob_In_MO":pbbvnq89 said:
I didn't care for the element the paper added. :no:
In the first few weeks after deciding to take up smoking my wife was wanting me to smoke an organic tobacco so I picked up a pouch of the American Spirit Organic. I guess it's really a cigarette tobacco, which I found to burn too fast and to be somewhat harsh and ended up blending with CBW and Savinelli Cavendish (see my "cheap blend" thread in the Tobacco Jar for more information). Included in the pouch was a pack of papers. Keeping with the non-additive theme of the AS line the papers are supposed to be different. I can't recall exactly and am out of the house right now but my recollection is that they are made of linen. Maybe these would add less effect to the experience than the papers that are commonly available.

Lesepfeife":6t75bwt0 said:
I can't recall exactly and am out of the house right now but my recollection is that they are made of linen. Maybe these would add less effect to the experience than the papers that are commonly available.
Having experience with A.S. in the past, I would not be afraid to try anything marketed by American Spirit. To me this stuff is as 'All Natural' as you can find in a decent B&M. Any of their stuff i've tried was very high quality as well.

Rob_In_MO":1dch5ibk said:
Lesepfeife":1dch5ibk said:
I can't recall exactly and am out of the house right now but my recollection is that they are made of linen. Maybe these would add less effect to the experience than the papers that are commonly available.
Having experience with A.S. in the past, I would not be afraid to try anything marketed by American Spirit. To me this stuff is as 'All Natural' as you can find in a decent B&M. Any of their stuff i've tried was very high quality as well.
I now have the pack of papers in front of me. It says 100% flax, chlorine-free, and natural gum. I don't know if I'll ever use them but the Scot blood in me wouldn't let me throw them away.

I ve mixed RYO tobacco with aeromatics that I no longer smoked or leftovers from a bag and to use up blends I did not paticuraly like. Didn't taste too badly and had a nice room note.

My Brother-In-Law owns a smoke shop in Peoria, AZ. He specializes in RYO (Roll Your Own), having a large carton machine as well as pack machines. His carton machine can run 200 smokes (10 packs) in 8 minutes, and he charges $27.49. They look and feel like manufactured cigarettes, but the tobacco is fresher, has less additives, and you pick whatever tube and tobacco you want, plus the density of the smoke to your smoking preference. He also sells 2 Packs for $5. He actually buys "pipe" tobacco of finer cut for his machines because it's significantly cheaper then buying "cigarette" tobacco. Now, it's pretty finely cut stuff, and 95% of it is Kentucky Select. He doesn't allow flavored tobacco in his $30k carton machine, but he does allow whatever in the pack machines. I was running menthol tobacco and menthol tubes the other night to make what I call "Super Menthols" (similar to snapping the bead in Camel's menthols). I thought of running some better pipe tobacco through, but didn't. It would definitely help to be of finer cut, but the machine is very good about packing the material to the shape that will be inserted into the cigarette tube. So maybe it wouldn't matter. I don't know. I also thought of chopping up an ACID cigar by Drew Estates, and making my own ACID singles. Obviously they market the C Notes, but they're pretty expensive for one little smoke.

This is one of the reasons I turned to pipe smoking. It's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper then what I was paying to regularly smoke cigars. I also like the process, and the pipes themselves. I have been collecting cigars in my humidor for a long time, but if I enjoy one, it's gone. If I enjoy a pipe, I put it back on the table to smoke later that day. I'm not too materialistic, but in this sense, I like that the pipe is not expendable like every part of the cigar. I'm a convert...

Incidentally, if you live in the Peoria area, Dave's shop is Smoke $mart on the southwest corner of Cactus and 75th by Lee Lee's. There is legislation that may bring him down in the upcoming months, but they're already working on a new loophole in the laws, and might possibly begin marketing other accessories as well to stay afloat. We'll see. I hope it all works out for him.

I have, and sometimes still do roll my own pipe tobacco cigarettes. While I have and do use American Classic Blends, I also use blends I don't care for in a pipe, and blend my own RYO mixtures. I've used every kind of tobacco except Perique and Lakelands. I prefer English style blends in a cigarette more than in a pipe.