Pipes and pinball?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattrhorn

Reaction score
So, just out of pure curiosity, any pinball fans out there? I enjoy a pipe, darts, (steel tip, not soft), and pinball. I am aiming at getting my own pinball at home. In the mean time, does anyone out there know of some local pinball or interested in sharing a smoke and a pinball game sometime? I am in the Livermore, CA area and pinball is few and far between. I have a regulation steel tip dart set up and bar at home Love to add some silver ball to the mix Just curious as they are all great hobbies in my opinion. I also fish and hunt often, but sometimes a pipe and some "bar" games are fun. Let's talk about it!

we have a smoke at a bar here in PA that has darts inside. can't smoke inside, though. i don't know of anywhere you can :(

Thanks. Tiltjlp, would love to talk some pinball and hear about your blends!! Got anything strong and not too sweet?

I never played pinball much. In fact, I thought it was mostly about just not letting the ball go into the trap, until I played the microsoft pinball. Then I realized there are missions, and so on. Pretty cool for a ball and a few flappers. I'd be into it more now if there were more around.

However, I've played darts forever, never any real tournaments or anything. Just throwing a few darts at a board to see how accurate I could be. My dad bought us a nice bristle board and some Hammerhead darts when we were kids. I'm not sure what they sell for these days, but back then, they were fairly expensive. I'm sure he didn't pay full price though. He always found deals.

Anyway, darts and pipes would be great. I've done it with friends a few times in the garage. I still have those hammerheads and they're still awesome. Whoa... I just looked them up...and they're still very expensive :shock:

This thread makes me want to hang my board back up...

I have my board up and we at pretty often. Hammerheads are still good darts and pretty pricey when you get into tungstens. There are some excellent boards out there without the staples in them that reduce bounce outs. Much better than the boards of ten plus years ago. They are cheaper than the darts! Soft tip is all the rage around northern CA these days, so I have to keep steel I've in the backyard bar! I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture!

I love pinball and I wish I had the space in my house and the money to pick up a few machines.

When I was younger, my ex girlfriend had a pinball machine at her place. I forget which one it was but it was analog and fighter pilot themed. I do remember that it needed a TON of maintenance.

I tried to acquire my favorite pinball game (William's Funhouse) from a private dealer several years ago, but we couldn't agree on a price.    

As for Mr. Patton's blends, the few that I smoke are great. I'd start with Oriental Dusk and Storm Front and go from there.

PS - I miss my dart board. :( 

Funhouse is a classic! "Hey, Bucko!". That talking dummy! Was your game a pretty fast action, lots of strobe light game? Perhaps F-14 Tomcat?

I have the space, now waiting on the funds. I want The Twilight Zone or Champions Pub!

Mattrhorn":eywjs98b said:
Funhouse is a classic!  "Hey, Bucko!". That talking dummy!  Was your game a pretty fast action, lots of strobe light game?  Perhaps F-14 Tomcat?

I have the space, now waiting on the funds.  I want The Twilight Zone or Champions Pub!
Twilight Zone was great, I never played Champion's Pub, but it looks cool.

Honestly, I can't for the life of me remember the name of my ex girlfriend's parent's machine. I would say it was fairly tame, not too action packed, was pretty loose and didn't tilt easily. Altogether it was a pretty fun game, but far from riveting. The score board was all analog, and as I mentioned the maintenance needed on it was non stop.

My wife and I would play tons of Funhouse between classes when we were at San Jose State University.

It is tough to find a pinball game to play around Livermore. There was a pizza place in Walnut Creek....Pinky's Pizza...they had good, cheap pitchers of beer and a rotation of two or three pins. Great pizza, too. I was sad when Tom closed doors of that place. Wonder where some pins are now?

somedumbjerk":0ruwdmi6 said:
we have a smoke at a bar here in PA that has darts inside. can't smoke inside, though. i don't know of anywhere you can :(
If you ever make it to my side of 'Murica for whatever reason, there's a few good places around my neck of the woods you'd like. Right now I'm a 5 minute drive, literally at the entrance of my neighborhood, from a pretty large pool hall/darts hall and they legitimate poker tables and tournaments are held frequently. And I generally kill about a half a pack of Al Capone's every time I go there. A whole pack if I'm drinking too much that night. I haven't taken my pipe there, because I don't trust taking my pipe to any other than my friends or family's houses. But I don't see why they'd care about pipe smoking there. Hell, I've smoked a full on torpedo in there and they don't care. "As long as it isn't wacky tobaccy" is the exact response I get 9/10 times.

As for pinball, I enjoy it, but I would never have the cash for my own machine, so I enjoy the one's at the local bars around here.

My favorite bar game is darts. At home I prefer throwing knives though :twisted: 

Years ago I was pretty fair at pinball, we had a couple in this beer joint I use to hang out at, that and pool. I'd still enjoy pinball if I could keep standing long enough. Was never much with a dart. Oh, I could hit the target alright but, to control where on the dad burn thing was slim pick'ens.

I realize this thread is going on 2 years old, but I dropped a boatload of quarters in various tables in the past. Alas, there isn't anywhere close by to play.

But I have found some apps for my Android tablet that were done by some people who seem to know and love the game.

I'm a long-time lover of old pinball machines, preferring the purely mechanical ones to the hybrid machines that came during the transition of the entertainment machine industry from mechanical machines to video games. I even worked for a summer for a guy who did on-site pinball maintenance and repair. With the keys in hand, I got to play them all for free... They're beautiful things, both inside and out. I'd love to have the space for one. Some day...

Always loved Captain Fantastic, and overall had a preference for Bally machines over Williams and Gottlieb.

Alameda boasts the Pacific Pinball Museum, a wonderful place with many restored, fully functional machines that can be played, spanning the history from very old, simple decks to the most complex of the hybrids. It's not far from Livermore, and well worth the drive in. You pay an entry fee, and can play to your heart's content, at least until closing time. I haven't been able to convince them to let me have a sleepover...

I have made it to Alameda to play pinball. Nice place and nice machines. I also just got back from Las Vegas and I played at the Pinball Hall of Fame. Lots of machines, pay per play, not a flat rate like Alameda. The machines were is varying states of repair. Mostly pretty good shape, but more than a few needed some minor maintenance.

Too bad there is no local places anymore that have a game in the corner and beer on tap!