Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue Broad

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I love these pens. I don’t like what the USA MSRP is...$220 !

I currently have a Burgoyne and a Black. One is a soft fine, the other a medium. I recently found an outlet in Japan offering the Chartres Blue pen with 14K Broad nib for SEVENTY BUCKS! Okay. The street price in the USA is $150 - $165.

Below see order from eBay and glam photo.

Thinking about using one of the Organics Studio Blue inks that sheen like crazy. Maybe Nitrogen, Walden or Emerson. See sample below.

Pen finally came in today. Gorgeous. Washed it out with the obligatory few drops of Dawn dish soap in a cup of warm water, rinsed it with clear & dried it well with a clean paper towel. Inked it up and sat down for a trial.

Now Platinum pens are KNOWN for having a fair bit of feedback. The nibs are designed that way. On purpose. But the nib on this pen is like glass. Quite a surprise...but fine with me. It’s actually smoother than any Sailor pen I have. And those are known for being super smooth. How nice.

The Platinum nib on this one is a Broad...but being a Japanese nib it is very much like a Western Medium. Very nice and with a good flow.

The only glitch is that Platinum uses proprietary cartridges and converters. But I recently discovered they also make an adaptor that allows the use of International Standard items. See below...

If I named my pens, this one would be ‘Louis’. For, as Rick said to Capt. Renard at the end of Casablanca...”Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."