Putty fills

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
I think I already know my answer...leave well enough alone....but thought I might as well ask anyway.

I have one pipe that was made for me. I saw the early stage photos and there were a couple of small sand pits. I should have said something then, but since they were visible, I figured they would stay as they are. I don't mind imperfect briar..it's just character to me.

The final pipe had the pits filled. They are very well done, so it's not like they're an eyesore...you really have to look to find them, really well. The stains is pretty dark, too, which probably helps.

Just wondering if there's a way to easily (ie, not have to refinish the pipe) to remove the fill and bring the pits back out. Feel free to tell me to stop thinking and just smoke it...

I agree. Don't mess with it. Just smoke it and enjoy!

Got a picture of it?

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, pretty much figured that. They're tiny, just bummed that I didn't think to speak up. Absolutely no big deal...the pipe is a smoking machine.

I agree with the other guys, and think you've made the right choice.

1) it teaches you the lesson of not leaving something to chance...or at least the 'artistic' decisions of someone other than yourself. You want it a certain way? Then you make sure you say something when it's still possible to get it that way.
2) another thing it teaches you is that visual aesthetics, while nice and a fine addition to other elements, is really seconday to the mechanics of a superb smoke. I've almost gotten totally away from buying new or estate pipes that are really expensive...I've been burned too many times by getting a pipe that was a lousy smoker and having to dump it down the line. What I've found is that there are a few makers I'll trust with "new" and get totally jazzed by doing my own restorations and conversions and finding basket pipes that smoke better than an $800 Dunhill. Sure, there are some that I LOVE that have that combination of the look, the feel and the smoke...they have THE POWA! But there are a whole lot more that do yoman's work and while not all that pretty provide an excellent experience day in and day out...gotta love 'em. Well, enough said there.
3) since the preferred method of removing the fill material is a) to place the pipe in a well padded drill press vice and b) orient the fill area exactly perpendicular to the drill on both X and Y axis and then c) using a 1/4" drill bit lower the press arm so that the bit enters the briar to a depth equal to that of the pit. Well, of course there are risks involved in this method...but if you really want to clean it out...

HEY! Just tryin' to help!

I think deepbase is bored and looking for something to do. If your that bored deepbase you can come over and cut my grass for me. :lol!:

PipeLeisure":wnfnjnra said:
I think deepbass is bored and looking for something to do. If your that bored deepbase you can come over and cut my grass for me. :lol!:

Stimulus....brain must have constant stimulus, else it creates its own :idea: :arrow: :idea: