Rain and humidity during smoking

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
Wow, haven't had a good bowl in a couple days because of the weather, social engagements, and the like, but I'm looking forward to getting home and cuddling up with the pipe, a beer, and a movie (provided I'm not snowed out of Logan).
Regarding the weather, I've been wondering this, since I've walked around here a fair bit during some misty winter afternoons, and been doing some thinking about dew point and tobacco moisture. I have a good handle on how my stored tobacco is kept humid, and I'm a fan of it on the relatively dry side.
My last smoke began on a walk outside with the Kirsten just prior to a downpour; the RH was 95%, and I was finding it sort of harsh and difficult to draw, and the downpour itself forced me to run back at top speed and change clothes and abandon all 'research'.
It makes logical sense to me that a smoke on a warm humid day would naturally increase the moisture content of the smoke stream (which I couldn't verify, having smoked the kirsten), but I am not entirely sure if the change in flavor was real or imagined.

Thoughts, anyone?

On a side note, I'm anticipating a smoke of LNF with a nice glass of Smuttynose winter ale, which I wanted to pair with a balkan, but I don't smoke latakia indoors, so we'll see how this goes.

It's not impossible--but so many things affect one particular bowl that it seems unlikely as the lone cause.

Because of the way RH is calculated, the cooler the temperature, the less difference it could possibly make (it takes much less water to "saturate" the air.) Sustained periods of high heat and humidity may be a different kettle of fish, though... one for the Brothers from Southern climes, I'd say.

(Bumping this into Pipe Techniques.)