Re Snuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eklektos44

Reaction score
So, if I was to try snuff, what would be a good one to start? I.E one that wouldn't take the top of my head off. And is there a US supplier? :?:

I think starting with Old Mill is like being dropped off at the top of Mt. McKinley. (It's all downhill from there.) For sure this is first class snuff, but it's 2-3x the cost of most others. The ones I've tried have been fairly moderate in nicotine level and are very complex in flavor.

The PACT Act (2010) basically forced many domestic sellers of smokeless tobacco and cigarettes to get out of that online business. You can buy domestically via Lil Brown Smoke Shack, but your choices are limited (Silver Dollar and Wilson's). Buying from Mr Snuff in the UK has been very easy though. My shipments arrived within 7 days and the prices / selection is great. Shipping costs are a bit high, but not outlandish. Their website also has good descriptions and reviews for most of the snuff sold.

I've started and continue with a variety ... mostly fruit types as the essence translates well to snuff and I like the aromas. I enjoy a few mentholated types and take these first thing in the morning to clear my sinuses. (Poschl Gawith Apricot is one that I really like and find it's quite easy to take on a regular basis.) I also enjoy Fribourg & Treyer Santo Domingo, which has a more pure tobacco flavor (like a maduro cigar). F&T, McChrystals, Old Mill, Toque and Wilson's are the main brands I currently enjoy.

If you buy some and decide snuff is not for you, I'm sure you could easily sell or trade here.

I have always tried to steer the newly interested toward trying one or two snuffs from the various subtypes.

Grab a SP (Spanish/Sheffield Pride), a medicated, a schmaltzler, a natural, a toast, a couple flavored snuffs. See what you like and then go from there. There are so many great labels Toque, Fribourg & Treyer, Abraxas, McCrystals, Wilson's of Sharrow, Poschl, Bernards, DeKranslingse, Gawith Hoggarth, Sam Gawith, Viking, Dholakia and many more all that make excellent products with 5-10g tins selling for somewhere between $3-4 dollars.

I agree with tslots here. If you buy a handful of snuffs from Mr. Snuff and you find that you don't like doing it, or that it's hell on your sinuses, you're not out all that much money. If you find you like it and you find that you're ready to explore things a bit more, then go and talk to Daniel at Old Mill and try some of his flavors out. His snuff is completely different and his recipes emphasize layering and balancing complex flavors.

However, this doesn't mean that the good old standards are sub-par or not worthy of your attention.

DireWolf":071q15bu said:
I couldn't be happier hanging out on Mt. McKinley.
Sure, but you got transportation via CheapTickets.com

Chef Daniel makes some awesome snuff.

eklektos44":y5vnopdv said:
... one that wouldn't take the top of my head off.  
One other note on this item.  Nicotine levels in snuff seems to vary quite a bit.  The Mr Snuff site has posted levels (None, Low, Medium, High) on each snuff they sell, but those are pretty general.  For example, Poschl Gawith Apricot and Bernard Brasil Doppelt Fermentiert are both listed as having Medium nicotine levels.   I can take a good sized pinch (apple seed) of the Poschl and get a mellow, fairly light buzz.  The same amount of the Bernard would have me really jittery and a bit dizzy.   I really like the flavors of the Bernard, but learned to lessen the amount taken in order to have the best experience.

This is due to the more immediate absorption of nic from your nasal passage (vs. your mouth from pipe / cigar smoking).   And as this varies from person to person, it's difficult to say for certain which snuff will or won't take the top of your head off.

tslots":czjq8x5x said:
DireWolf":czjq8x5x said:
I couldn't be happier hanging out on Mt. McKinley.
Sure, but you got transportation via CheapTickets.com
I'm OK with that.  :p

His menu descriptions are what did it for me.  

I had zero interest in snuff before I finally followed a link to his site.

I tried a euro snuff (Toque, G&H - don't know), and while it was a bit stale, the scent reminded me of Copenhagen.

And I think it was supposed to be Chocolate.

One or two small OM tins (probably less) last a month.  At $8.00 per small tin, I'm out maybe $20 with shipping, but have snuff that ranges from good to outstanding - because Chef Daniel will talk you through any questions you may have and steer you clear of things you may not like.  That's a bargain (IMO) to the $15 of Toque and G&H tins I tossed in the garbage.

I'm a snuff n00b though - so I don't know. I may have been born on 3rd base in the snuff world instead of hitting a triple, but I ain't walking back over to first now. :)

Why not just PM me your address and I can stick a few samples in the mail.

I would not recommend ordering a bunch a Olde Mill snuffs to start. Lovely though they are most are fine, dry and need experience to use correctly. Some are OK, but most not. Look for a 'grind' description of 'coarse'.

Aside from that, Mr. Snuff in the UK will be your best friend. Very reliable, good prices, secure shipping, etc.

My first suggestion would be to try "Viking Dark". It is a fairly unflavored, non menthal, straight tobacco snuff that is supremely easy to snuff, etc. It is extremely popular for those reasons. That'd be my suggestion.

PS: do not buy anything in those little 10 gm " tab boxes" as they dry the snuff out in a week and it's wasted.

Blackhorse":cjlam9wp said:
Why not just PM me your address and I can stick a few samples in the mail.

I would not recommend ordering a bunch a Olde Mill snuffs to start. Lovely though they are most are fine, dry and need experience to use correctly. Some are OK, but most not. Look for a 'grind' description of 'coarse'.

Aside from that, Mr. Snuff in the UK will be your best friend. Very reliable, good prices, secure shipping, etc.

My first suggestion would be to try "Viking Dark". It is a fairly unflavored, non menthal, straight tobacco snuff that is supremely easy to snuff, etc. It is extremely popular for those reasons. That'd be my suggestion.

PS: do not buy anything in those little 10 gm " tab boxes" as they dry the snuff out in a week and it's wasted.
Thanks Blackhorse! Pm forthcoming. :)

Blackhorse":nklmvzip said:
Snuff gospel, this.

Keep in mind, too, that the price of snuff is so (relatively) low that the cost of international shipping still leaves you in pretty good shape.

Enjoy the samples (BH is such a fine, upstanding, gent)...but in terms of advice, I'd suggest that beginners stay away from things that say "toast" or "scotch" early on - those are some excellent genres of snuff, but they do require a bit of technique, so having some moister, courser snuffs under your belt are a head start (unless, of course, you enjoy the sensation of having scorpions, rattlesnakes, and electric eels engaged in a battle royal in your sinus cavities).