Reconnecting to the past, Return to the Briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.A.

Reaction score
I do alot of reading here on the BoB boards, recent and older past post. very interesting and helpful information,

I noticed a pattern that has intrigued me, A good number of people Smoked a pipe and gave it up for 8-10-20 plus years, But returned recently (past few years) and are really enjoying it,

This is my story as well, I'll be Breif as I can,

I smoked a pipe from age 12 till around 20, most steady 12-17 My best smoking pipe was a Dr Grabow Grand Duke, And Captain Black and Bokum Riff were my steady smokes, Had a couple other pipes Dr Grabow Vikings didnt really care for them.

Age 12-17 The best of times, I unwittingly could pack a bowl and smoke without many re-lights and tongue bite was a rare occurance, and I smoked 3-6 bowls regularly. I lost my Little bent Grabow, The Duke was no more, to this day no idea where I misplaced it.

Next few years I tried a couple new pipes but never could get that same good smoke I had know before and more often than not tongue bite! I tried a few times in my 20,s and slim to none as the years went by, Although I always remember the times I had enjoyed a pipe and was resigned that I never would again.

When the subject would come up I would reminiss about how I once had enjoyed it but never could get the hang of it. So I had givin up on it. Well last Oct while visiting the NC State fair, A friend and I happen upon a pipe carver "Jerry Perry" in the village of yesteryear, Seeing the pipes I once again conversated the joys and dissapointments of my pipe past with Jerry and my friend who attended the fair with me.

He made good offers on his pipes I declined, My friend tried to encourage me to pick one I stayed firm, "No" I had decided it was not ever going to be a good experience so why bother with yet another dissapointment. Simply wasn't willing to entertain the idea.

Well she decided to be more impulsive, prying from me which pipes appealed to me, She purchased 2 of his custom carved pipes, And nice fella as he was he even gave me a bag of pipe tobacco. And some general how to advice,

Well it looked like I was going to give pipe smoking another chance if I wanted to or not, Since the internet is such a part of life research opened up a wealth of information as well as led me to this fine forum here, That was about a year ago give or take a week. my 1st year "Return to the Briar" aniversary.

That is my "Return to the Briar" story hope is wasnt too boring, For you guys who once smoked a pipe and gave it up to return decades later, If inclined to share I and perhaps others would be curious to hear your story, the details of why you left and what drew you back to the briar.

I am enjoying pipe smoking once again and at least now if something dosen't "work" I have a place to discuss issues and find solutions, Looking forward to many years of enjoyement ahead. :)

Cool story.
I couldn't imagine smoking at 12.
Although I did enjoy candy cigarettes...

As I mentioned in my intro, I smoked pipes (and cigars to a lesser extent) from 1976 through the mid-90s. From 1991-2006 I lived in the New Orleans area, until Katrina flooded my University with 20 feet of water and 60% of the faculty was laid off.

My allergies were pretty bad in NO, it seems like there is almost always something in bloom! (Not to mention mold, etc). I cut down on the smoking, and for 8 months out of the year the allergies were better (not much seemed to help in October and March-May). I finally gave up the pipe and most cigars.

Here in the Piedmont, my allergies aren't nearly as severe, and I caught myself smoking more cigars (although not many). I used to prefer pipes to cigars, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me to smoke a pipe once every two or three months. Once I realized I was likely to be smoking more, I went back to the pipes for my weekend smokes.

Also, when I cut down my smoking in the 90s, I increased my wine hobby. Having to cut down on that (potential high sugar; lost 60 pounds over the last 18 months) probably was a factor in returning to tobacco to relax a bit.