Red Wing boots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puff Daddy":ln8wd4r8 said:
Hermit":ln8wd4r8 said:
I mostly wear house slippers, but I buy em myself, not no damn union. :evil:
Interesting comment. Funny how unions are perceived in different parts of the country. Out here if you do what I do and are union, you make what amounts to a standard middle class wage with medical insurance, a couple weeks of vacation, and a pension. If you're non union you make squat, you're probably a mexican or russian citizen, and you get your medical from the state because your kids get welfare aissitance and food stamps from the govt.. I wonder which you see as the bigger burden on you? I wonder if people like to group you into an unfair classification and heap scorn on what you do so it can make them feel better about how hard they work?

I don't know about the south, but out here the unions protect middle class jobs that corporations would gladly get rid of just to raise their profits with no concern for the health of the middle class that carries this country, or the subsequent burden on the state from bringing in low paying jobs and putting earners out of work. I work in a pretty dangerous job and my union brothers perform our jobs with extremely low accident and injury rates compared to the scabs, because we are skilled professionals who were trained properly, take pride in our jobs and show concern for those working along side of us, unlike the non union idiots who aren't even allowed on most jobsites because they don't have a clue what the hell they're doing.

And I buy my own goddamned boots. Every penny of my wage is part of a collective bargaining agreement that defines my salary, none of it is a gift. Whether it's my hourly pay or my pension contribution or my boot allowance, I earn every damned cent of it every time I'm headed out onto some highway bridge in the middle of the night or some busted up levee that's sloughing off into the river or some excavation site that is littered with hazards.

How many clueless asshats make stupid comments about where you got the money for your comfy little slippers?

It amazes me how many people like to think that their existence is justifiable, but their hard working neighbors isn't because it's not the way they like to see things done. I pay plenty in taxes, contribute more of my time to needy children and to local children's programs than you could possibly know, have children serving in the military protecting this nation, and work extremely hard at my profession building roads, bridges and dams that people rely on for their safety. But I'm lower than some slipper wearing dickhead who wants to make snarky comments about my compensation because I'm affiliated with a union? If that's the American conservative position I'm thrilled to be considered a liberal.

That was a joke, friend. If I'da known it would get you that upset, I'da kept it to myself. :|

Yeah, I know I over reacted a bit there Hermit, sorry. I have no beef with you. You just inadvertantly pushed my button when it was ripe for pushing. With this economy, this employer, this contract negotiation I just went through, this election bullshit... I guess I'd reached my boiling point and you came along and made a wisecrack when I was already festering.

Hell, I like slippers......

Clarks Desert Boots for me.
I'm a mod, from way back.
Interesting thread....

If I had my druthers and didn't need em for work, I'd wear Trickers.

Not all Red Wings are USA made though. In fact, most are not. The $$$$ are though, and if you can afford them then good for you. I spent about 2 weeks shopping for boots a few months ago. I wanted to stay with a true American brand but couldn't afford them. I regretfully bought a pair of Carolina boots at Bobs with a 25%-off coupon. They are one of the most comfortable pair of boots I've worn, and I've worn a lotta boots. I put toe caps on the Carolinas and was going to put extra beds in but they aren't needed. So far, I'm happy with them, just wish they were USA made.

Puff Daddy":jlupozpc said:
and work extremely hard at my profession building roads, bridges and dams that people rely on for their safety. But I'm lower than some slipper wearing dickhead who wants to make snarky comments about my compensation because I'm affiliated with a union? If that's the American conservative position I'm thrilled to be considered a liberal.
Just remember, PD, "you didn't build that." ;)

And FWIW, it's not all American conservatives' position.

I have these; 8" Red Wings, the quintessential hunting boot. Many seasons in and still going strong:

00877_trans_IS.jpg

This conversation is turning stupid. :cheers:

I love my Red Wing boots, though... the only boots I could find that were comfortable enough, tough enough, and not insulated/waterproof enough to handle desert hiking while fending off rattlesnake bites. They're not steel-toe, so not MSHA approved, but for a majority of what I do...I effin' love 'em. Model 914 8", I think they are. I even got the store-applied toe guard brown plastic stuff molded on the toe to keep the brush from cuttin' through 'em. :heart:

8)

Still have my Teamster, Local 294 card.

Not really the same animal as the Redwings, but I got this pair of Bates Enforcers when I was still active in the union 10+ years ago. Still going strong. Though, now a days I only wear them about once a month or so.

7083788731_c3a4f80ecf.jpg

I had a pair of Carolina boots once upon a time, after three months of use they had all of the support of a wet dish rag. When I got a job as a dirt forester the first thing I bought was a pair of Red Wing Logger boots. They are pricey but worth the money. They would take all of the beating I could give them. When I had to replace them I used the old pair for working on fires. Just my $.02

Stinger

Stinger4me":12ldm822 said:
I had a pair of Carolina boots once upon a time, after three months of use they had all of the support of a wet dish rag. When I got a job as a dirt forester the first thing I bought was a pair of Red Wing Logger boots. They are pricey but worth the money. They would take all of the beating I could give them. When I had to replace them I used the old pair for working on fires. Just my $.02

Stinger

Actually I still wear carolinas, I love them! I buy the regular Altima military boots for summer wear but when winter comes I want my Carolinas! Georgia, Red wings, and Danner all make great boots as well.

Here is the last pair I bought before I retired. They where still made in the USA and a comfortable pair of boots. They are model 202 and where made in February of 2005.

I swear by my 875s. They're on their 3rd re-sole and still going strong. Terrific boots for an electrician.

BAC Local 05 pa and proud of it.The last pair of Redwings I had were not the greatest,but I will get another pair hopefully they will be better.

herbinedave":1ezkfbtw said:
Here is the last pair I bought before I retired. They where still made in the USA and a comfortable pair of boots. They are model 202 and where made in February of 2005.
Nice. Remind me a little of a lace up roper.

I'm a Justin roper kinda guy. Cat's Paw sole. Very comfy.
Wife got me some Wolverine Wellington rubber sole work boots. We'll see how they hold up.