Remember William Gargen as Martin Kane

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the dialturner

Reaction score
How many of you guys out there recall William Gargen, who played pipe-smoking detective Martin Kane first on radio and then TV. Gargen, who later became the spokesman for the American Cancer Society, smoked a pipe and would stop into Happy's Tobacco Shop each week to buy a pouch of Old Briar Tobacco. When I started researching th e program, all I could find was the US Tobacco Company. I had to check several places to find the specific name Old Briar. Sano Cigarettes also sponsored the show. Gargen talked about the case with Happy and put in a plug for the commercial. That way the audience wouldn't leave the room. Gargen grew disinterested with the program on TV because it spotlighted a bunch of the producer's girlfriends who were there for decoration. He left the show to start a new one on radio, "Barry Craig, Confidential Investegator." I hope I spelled "Gargen" correctly. Wasn't able to get over to a site to verify.

I do! I used to watch it in the early to mid 50s. Believe his name was spelled Gargan.

Wasn't that show a contemporay of "Boston Blackie?" I think I remember it.